She Says She Isn't Satisfied

(John Laurens POV)

As I sat down on my seat, tired from trying to hide sadness with a pretended silliness, I looked up to see Angelica wipe a quiet tear down her face as she stood and walked to the center of the room. If she was for some reason distressed, she was hiding in a veil of politeness and order.

"A toast to the groom," Angelica said quietly. She raised her glass into the air, a delicate wine, and the room echoed.

"To the bride!" She rephrased, a bit louder. Once again, the people echoed. Alexander was smiling, and Eliza was giving Angelica the sweetest look.

"To your union," Angelica continued, smiling. 

"TO THE REVOLUTION!" Laf and Herc yelled. They were sitting right by each other, giggling wildly. I swear sometimes I think they are an item-- if that was acceptable in the stupid 1700s, of course.

Angelica glared at them, and not playfully either. "And the hope that you provide," she said. What is that supposed to mean?

"May you always be satisfied," Angelica said with a toast, and just like that I could feel myself drift away, back in time.

Rewind

I remember that night, a couple of years ago, when I first met Alexander. He was a young man of great renown, an immigrant by his own blood and sweat. We were standing in the bar when I saw him, skinny and short, standing next to Aaron Burr.

"Who's that dude?" I whispered to Hercules.

"Oh, that's Alexander Hamilton. Some people in the Caribbean payed for his ride here," Hercules explained in a deep voice. 

"I heard it was because this Al-ax-ander talks soo much," Laf said, totally French sounding from too many drinks.

"He's kinda cute," I noted.

Hercules laughed. "Shall we introduce ourselves?"

"OF COURSE!" Laf yelled, and I started rapping,

Two weeks ago, after many an adventure with me and Alex, he came home to the tent we shared in Washington's camp (before that, we lived with Hercules) his eyes glittering with stars. 

"What is it?" I asked, a sly smile on my lips.

"I met some one," he said, and I cut him off before he ranted.

"Who?" I said, coming off more hurt then I had intended. 

"Eliza Schuyler," he said, and I heard my heart crack. There is no way we could be as close as were, no way I could possibly compete, with a Schuyler sister. 

I looked back to Angelica, and I heard her final words.

"May you always," Angelica repeated, "Be satisfied."