I am Satisfied

(Angelica POV) 

The whole night passed by as swiftly as the stars dance across the sky. I couldn't stop looking at Laurens as we walked down the aisle together, hand in hand. I walked a bit faster than him but he sped up to meet me easily. 

He looked at me, eyes sparkling a dewy green. "You look so beautiful, Angelica." He said my name gently, not implying I was a witch or a spinster in the way I was used to. My heart didn't race as hearing my name on his tongue because I was more sure of him then I was of myself-- and I am usually quite sure of myself. 

"Thank you my dearest, Laurens," I responded. I blinked twice after I realized what I had said. In my darkest fantasies at night when the rain sprinkled on my windows when I let my mind drift away from the ideals and works that power my actions, I always imagined Alexander calling me that. "Dearest," I can still see the way I imagined his lips move, a dorky smile on his face a minute after... He could be such a dork sometimes, underneath the war and wishes that he filtered himself through.

No. I wasn't going to let my ideal of a man, ideal of my sister's husband, keep me from appreciating now. John Laurens loved me in a way Alexander never could nor would. Laurens was sweet and water and the match to my fire. 

I looked around the room one last time, then looked back to Laurens. This was OUR night.

*******

Eliza smiled, walking to the front of the room with her drink in her hands. She raised her glass up, the light turning the champagne red, shining the color across her blue dress. 

She reached a crumpled piece of paper out of her hand. "Angelica, my sister and my dearest friend, I have never been so happy for you." She nervously peered to me over her paper. "I love you so much, and I see you here, in hand with John, and I'm glorious. My soul shines." She wiped a tear from her face. "I don't cry that you are gone, I cry in joy." Her voice caught. 

Peggy took over. "MY TWO FRIENDS ARE HITCHED TOGETHER! AND NOW THEY CAN TOTALLY F--"

Alexander cut her off with a nervous chuckle. "A toast to your union!" I didn't even look.

********

A//N: IF YOU WANT  A HAPPY ENDING, STOP READING NOW.