Say No

(John Laurens POV)

After a wonderful honeymoon and a few months living sweetly at our cottage just outside of NYC, I still couldn't be more content. I wrote letters for political men in the area, but mainly spent my day with Angelica always by my side, always working with me, even though as a woman of the day she got no credit from anyone but me.

However, one morning as I was opening letters I was shocked to see the following:

John Laurens,

An opportunity has arisen for your dream of a fully-armed all-black battalion to come true. The war can end, but we need your assistance. Alexander has decided it would be in your best interest to claim your inheritance of your father's slaves now and join us in Yorktown as soon as possible.

I know this is late notice, especially considering your recent marriage to the lovely Angelica Schuyler, but we need you.

Sincerely,

Washington

Oh no. I stared at the letter, ensure to do. That's when Angelica walked into the room, in a sweet blush nightgown. I had told her white was the easiest to wash, but she didn't believe me and still insisted on her pink.

"What is it?" Angelica asked, reading me like an open book. "You're nervous."

I handed her the letter. She sped-read it. "Laurie?" She looked up, a bit of worry showing through the mask of her emotions.

"I have to leave." I decided it then and there. What option did I have? I needed to support this-- this revolution and this abolition.

"JOHN LAURENS," Angelica cursed. We love each other deeply. I didn't want her to leave.

"You can come with me," I offered, but soon regretted it. "ACTUALLY DON'T. It's too dangerous."

Angelica nodded. "There's no way around it, I'm coming."

"But you could get hurt," I begged. I loved her too much for her to be injured, no matter how much the cause mattered.

"Nope, I'm coming. Let's pack, and then we go to confront your father," Angelica decided.

"BUT?!" I screeched.

She grabbed me by the collar. "John freaking Laurens, I am never leaving you again. The last time you were at war, you dueled with Charles Lee and could've DIED. Now, I'm happy you dueled him, or else you could've never come home and met me, but after this, there's no way you're getting hurt again. You are the love of my life, my husband, and I won't let you go. I don't want to regret letting you go. I have too many regrets already."

I kept staring at her. "Okay, Ang. Only if you want."

"Yes," Angelica said, looking down at me.

"You're so pretty," I said, honestly amazed that this smart intelligent woman was mine. "Can I kiss you now?"

She pressed my lips to hers, we kissed passionately for a moment, then she released.

"I have to go pack. We'll leave for your father's plantation in the morning." She sighed and walked out of the room, but then turned back.

"John?" She asked.

"What?"

"One more thing..." But then she sighed and left the room before she told me what.

A//N:  I LOVE YOU GUYS, SORRY THAT NOTHING WILL BE HAPPY AGAIN IN THIS STORY.