Anybody Have A Map?

(Angelica Schuyler's POV)

The evening started slow. John Church came to the house five o'clock sharp. He was a handsome enough man: nice athletic build, easy smile, bright eyes, hair the color of raven's wing, and a simple grace. He was wearing a maroon coat with matching breaches. 

He kissed my hand. "I have oft admired your intelligence."

I smiled. "Oh now?"

Father gestured for us to sit down. Peggy was out and Eliza no longer lived here, but Mother was already seated. Before us was a fine meal of chicken, grits, and asparagus, covered in the warmest of butters.

John Church's words failed often, but he listened to me, politely staring at me. He laughed frequently at my jokes and nodded when I said something disagreeable. After a particular argument with Father about slavery, John Church even clapped.

I could live with him! After the end of desert, I gestured to John Church. "Let me take you faraway from this place, my dear."

Father smirked, Mother winked, John Church obliged, grabbing my hand. I led him to the library, a tall stony room with bookshelves towering to the top.

"May I?" John Church asked. I closed my eyes and leaned it.

After a few wonderful moments, I heard a gasp-- It was John's... But not John Church's.

Dear God. I feel like my heart when boom.