Ground Rules

(A/N: I know this update is a little early but I want to see how you guys react when I break John's heart-- OH WAIT FORGET I SAID THAT! ;))

(John Laurens POV)

Peggy is waiting by the door for me, swinging on the bench with a sly smirk. I don't know how the yellow guardian angel knew I was coming. 

"Hello, Laurie," Peggy says as she waves.

"I never said you could call me that." I think my Southern twang probably came out on that one.

"I never requested you to fall in love with Angie, but here we are," Peggy said, glaring at me.

I raise my eyebrows. "Didn't you want me to?"

Peggy laughs. It's honestly a nice laugh, especially compared to mine (which sounds like a dying whale). "Yeah!" Her face became serious, a rare occasion unless she's being sarcastic. "So my dad's inside! Let's go talk to him."

Peggy grabs my hand tightly and tugs me inside. I regonize the stone kitchen of the creaking mansion, the familiar smell of baked bread, and Philip Schuyler, the richest man in New York.

Philip is as wiry as the glasses that hug his face. Wrinkles line his smile as he sees his youngest daughter.

"HI DADDY!" Peggy yells and hugs him. She lets go quickly and spins Philip in my direction.

I shake his hand. "Hello, Mr Schuyler."

He looks to Peggy and then to me. His eyebrows furrow. "Who's this?"

Oh shoot, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm about to, but Peggy cuts me off and does it herself, with grand gestures and a large smile.

"John Laurens, son of Henry Laurens of South Carolina, an aide-de-camp to Washington and a passionate abolitionist! He has a deep love of turtles and late night's at the local tavern. A loyal friend to Alexander and my dearest companion! But most importantly, ANGELICA'S PERFECT FUTURE HUSBAND!"

Phillip looks to me, pauses, and says to Peggy: "Ummm, kiddo, let's talk this over." He looks me over: "Laurens, son, feel free to have a look around." Phillip waves me off.

I smile awkwardly and turn the other way, start walking away to the other side of the house. My heart is banging against my stomach and I know my cheeks must be red. 

I don't want this to end badly. I don't care about how flustered I am or how much of a social embarrassment this is...What do I want?

It would be a lie not to say Angelica. 

I try to distract myself with the hallway that seems to stretch forever. I decide to walk into one of the rooms-- what's taking Peggy so long, anyway?

The door swings open. It's a library, rather nice. I look at the ceilings, covered in shelves and crown molding. My eyes make their way down when I see two figures kissing-- a man and a woman. They are intertwined, there's obvious passion and fun. His hands cling to her hair. She's laughing in-between breaths. It looks like love

That's when I notice the woman is in pink and radiates confidence through her shining black eyes...

 It's Angelica. 

I gasp. My heart breaks louder then it has since the wedding