The Small Ways

(Angelica's POV)

As I stumbled back to my seat and collapsed as gently as possible, Laurens smiled at me. His smile was rather charming, and not frog-like, as some people's could be described.

"That was sweet," he said.

"Yours was sweeter," I responded, and then turned a bright shade of red. Was I flirting with John Laurens? No.

But those eyes pleaded me to continue the conversation. "Satisfied was an interesting word choice," Laurens said. "It's such a basic word, implying it's only barely enough to get by. Why not happy or blissful?" he quizzed, reminding me this man was intelligent as well. 

"Oh," I say, smiling shyly. "Well, it's a very Hamilton-like choice of words."

"Of course," Laurens agreed. "And it's fancier then content." He turned to me suddenly, his green eyes locking on mine. "Are you quite satisfied, my dear?"

"Of course," I responded, no longer phased by the question, knowing that in this world of swirling ballgowns and the repression of women, there was no other choice. Since I was a girl my whole life has been planned for me. I try to rebel in any which way-- if it's wearing the bright pink or reading Common Sense or staying too late or supporting the revolution, but it's harder to rebel in small ways. It's hard to say 'no', I want to be married to him, or say 'yes' to a penniless marriage.

He looked off in the other direction, and I could tell he was not. That's when I decided that I was going to risk it.

"Would you like to go away from here?" I asked, and he nodded. I was going to tell him the truth. 

*****

A//N: hey, sorry my chapters are kinda short. I'm really flying by the seat of my pants on this whole story. The ending is the only thing I'm sure about, and you guys aren't going to like it. So, a couple things, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR READING! 130 VIEWS! I know it's not a ton, but I appreciate it, almost as much as when people vote, follow, and add my story to reading lists. Other than that, any ideas for the story? there's definitely going to be some turtles soon, which I'll need names for, and I am also thinking about writing another fanfiction. Maybe Hamilton (and it would probably be modern or another Angelica ship or maybe about Peggy? What would you guys like? *I'm using guys as gender-neutral*) Or maybe I'll try writing some for HP or PJO or DEH? Any interest? THANKS AGAIN. YOUR COMMENTS SHAPE THINGS SO PLEASE DO)