Chapter One

Rose's POV

I lay back in the long grass, singing a tune to myself as I watched nature move around me. The birds flittering across the blue sky, the russell of animal in the undergrowth, I used my wolf senses to pick out specific animals like the young doe that was drinking from the river half a mile away or the red squirrel scrambling from branch to branch in the thicket of trees.

I spent almost my whole time outside, or as much as I could while still trying to hold the responsibilities of a princess and that too my family. Even at night I couldn't bear to be shut up, so at a very early age when I was allowed my own room, I kept my balcony windows constantly open and my parents eventually gave up on trying to close them, gradually with my care and attention vines and flowers had grown around the doors and crept slightly into my room.

I smiled thinking about the blossoms entwined around my balcony, I sat up running my fingers along the soft petals of the dark red roses which inhabited this part of the valley, the same one in which I had been born eighteen years ago, with the flowers that were my name sake.

A tiny hint of yellow began to creep across the sky, signalling the sun was beginning its descent. I cursed to myself, I should have been back hours ago, my parents hadn't seen me since breakfast and although they knew I would be out here somewhere they would worry constantly. Ever since my premature birth, I had been treated like a cracked, delicate china doll who could break any second. Because of my unexplained early birth, my heart hadn't had time to fully developed and I occasionally suffered heart problems or black outs, as it couldn't support me and my energetic character.

I stoop up and dusted off my my simple cold shoulder, white cotton, skater dress, noticing a few flowers fall from the flower crown resting on my long brown curls. I began to run back up through the woods, enjoying the wind in my hair and soft dirt under my bare feet.

Soon I emerged onto the place lawn, I quickly and quietly skirted round the main entrance and guards, knowing I would be in big trouble if I was caught. I snuck up to the cherry blossom tree that grew up and around my balcony, I nimbly climbed up landing softly on the cool stone balcony.

Success! Now all I had to do was go do to the dinning room and pretend like I was in my room the whole day, easy.

I exited my room and went down the long corridors and staircases till I reached the dinning room, poking my head around the door I saw my parents, Cole, Nate, Theodore and his mate Ella, all waiting for me.

"um... Sorry I'm late, I was just got caught up reading in my room... all day" As I sat in my place in-between Cole and Nate.

"Reading Huh?" Asked my father beginning to serve himself.

"Yep!" I answered filling up my water glass and avoiding his stern gaze.

"Reading anything interesting?" he asked watching me closely.

"Yep, a re-telling of the Greek Myths." Nobody could test me on this as they all knew I loved anything to do with ancient Greece and knew all the Myths off by heart.

"Well when I came by your room to get you for supper, I didn't see you anywhere." Stated Theo, an evil smirk on his face.

"I was on the balcony with the doors closed." I said quickly,

"You balcony doors can't close, vines have grown around them." He said narrowing his eyes.

"...I was around the corner?"

Our father let out a weary sigh, "Where were you Rose."

"My room?" I said before quickly stuffing bread in my mouth.