Chapter Twelve

Rose's POV

I clutched my fingers together, throwing anxious glances to Gaby and Anya who were both already dressed gorgeously for the ball lounging back on a sofa in the large dressing room, as the elderly woman circled me assessing my shape and figure. Gaby fought not giggle while I got poked and prodded in my waist, hips, chest and shoulders, I glared at them both mouthing 'Help me!' Anya smirked, brushed her long sleek hair one her shoulder and came to my rescued.

"So, um Agnia do you think you have a dress for our Queen? Or does she need more poking?" Anya couldn't help but put a little jab in at the end.

The old woman swung her speculating gaze to Anya, she shrunk back under the glare. I stifled my laugh, good! Now she knew how I felt, Agnia was a scary lady.

"Do you know what the origin of my name is child?" She said in a heavily accented voice thick with age.

I shook my head, Anya shrugged and said, "What's that got to do with the price of milk?"

"I've always though that was a strange saying." Mused Gaby

Agnia tutted disapprovingly, "It means Immaculate, and that is exactly how everything I do and produce is. The Queen needs to have the perfect dress, and fit immaculately without a single bump or stretch of stitching. I have clothed the Royal Russian lycanthrope family for three generations, everything I do has a purpose and a reason."

"You girl" She pointed at Anya, "Know nothing of my work, all three of you are not from our motherland Russia, you are foreigners adopted in by the moon goddess for your destined mate, this is not France, America or Malaysia. This is Russia and this is how we do things in the lycanthrope aristocracy. Nothing less than perfection."

We all fell silent, and I endured another five minutes of examination before Agnia told me to sit down and she disappeared muttering things in Russian.

"Well... that was interesting." I said laughing slightly.

"Crazy old lady." Muttered Anya

"Oh hush" Said Gaby, "She's right, we are foreigners and should respect these old customs."

"Yeah, whatever" Grumbled Anya

"You just don't like to be scolded or reprimanded Anya." Said Gaby, straightening the silk skirts of her dress.

"Well who does! We're not children, so she shouldn't treat us like it!"

"Yes, but to someone of her experience and advanced age we're all toddlers to her." Reasoned Gaby

"Always the peacekeeper." Said Anya rolling her eyes but smiling.

"Personally, Im worried what she's going to come back with." I laughed nervously

"Don't worry Rose, even if she comes back with some 18th century thing which covers you head to foot, I'm sure you'll still rock it!" Said Anya mirth twinkling in her dark eyes.

"Ignore her Rose, despite what you might think Agnia is actually very good with producing very tasteful, modern pieces." Said Gaby reassuringly.

Footsteps came down the corridor, "Here she comes!" muttered Anya with trepidation.

Agnia came back into the room, her arms full of material, "Your Majesty, I have brought one of my simplest but finest and most delicate pieces, we are going to make the most of your tiny waist while you still have."

Anya burst out laughing while Gaby stifled her giggles,

"I'm sorry?" I spluttered,

"Well, I'd say in the next week or so the King will get his hands on you, you will be carrying the heir, and although you have good child bearing hips-"