Chapter Twenty

Rose's POV

The next day after the funeral was not a happy one, Ella retreated to the nursery with Genesis on account of it becoming too painful to stay in Theo's room. My mother wasn't much better, after staying as strong as she could, now the funeral was over, she was being overpowered by the loss of her firstborn baby. Dad found her crying over Theo's sonogram photos in her stomach, along with early photos of just him, mum and dad as a newborn growing into a toddler and then into a strong-headed young boy. I spent time with Nate and Cole, both Nicholas and Lilli giving us time together to mourn our older brother. 

Once three days had past Nicholas began to get restless, I could tell he wanted to travel back to Russia as we'd been away for over a week now. He became more and more worried about me and the baby, I could feel his gaze on me constantly almost waiting for something to go wrong. Finally, I began to get fed up so asked Nate to organize a checkup for me and talk through realistic scenarios of the birth.  

"Right, just warning you the gel will feel cold ok Rose," Nate said clicking open a plastic tube and squeezing the blue gel onto my stomach. I let out a little squeak as the cold substance hit my skin, 

"Told ya!" Nate grinned picking up the strange scanner device attached to the screen, 

"Now, the first thing I want to do is check the baby's heartbeat, and see if there are any obvious abnormalities that would indicate they had similar problems as you Rose. As we don't know what caused the problems with your heart aside form early birth we can't be sure if it's hereditary or just a one-off mutation." 

I nodded, "Sounds like a start." I said nervously, 

Nicholas stayed silent beside me, gripping my hand and watching Nate's actions closely. 

Nate took the scanner and spread the gel across my belly, next he clicked and tapped some things on the screen. Then suddenly, the muffled thumping blasted out strongly from the machine. I held my free hand to my mouth, tears trickling from my eyes at the fast steady heartbeat of my baby. Nicholas gave me a gentle kiss, smiling in awe at the pounding sound.

After moving the scanner around a bit, pressing more buttons and making some notes, Nate smiled, "I am pleased to say that your baby's heartbeat is sound and strong, now the machine can't tell us everything of course, it would be wise to run some checks after the birth but I am confident in saying that it is hight unlikely your baby will have the same heart problems as long as their heart is fully developed at birth."

Nicholas let out a breath of relief, smiling.  

"Now that we've checked the heart, let's get a clear picture of my future niece or nephew." 

Then on the screen, was a strange black and white image of our baby. 

"Hey, baby," I whispered smiling at the screen, it looked like a strange human-like bean,

"Do you guys want to know the gender? Now you're a month along we should be able to get a clear picture." 

I looked at my mate, "Shall we find out?|

"I don't mind, we are blessed either way."

I nodded, "Yes Nate, tell us."

"Ok then..." Nate type some things into the screen before announcing, "Congratulations you are having a baby Boy." Nate smiled,

"A boy," I whispered,

"A son, we're going to have a son," Nicholas said amazed, 

"Right," Said Nate, his voice becoming serious, "Now we've checked on my nephew, and we can see that all is well, for now, we should discuss the risks of the birth."