Chapter Sixteen

Rose's POV

The days slid by slowly, we had no word from any of the other Alpha kings, and no answer to our messages. None of my family answered my calls, and with each passing hour of silence, my fear grew. We had no idea if the attack had happened or if Sokolov was still waiting to pounce. 

"My love, you need to rest." Said Nicholas covering his hands with mine to stop me tapping my phone against the table as my calls home went unanswered again. 

"I'm fine." I wasn't, I had hardly slept the last five days, there were black bruise-like shadows under my eyes, and I felt nauseous nearly every second of the day, not that I told Nicholas. It was caused by stress I was sure of it. My heart had begun to ache too which I knew from past experience was from stress, so vomiting most mornings was probably just a new side effect ... Another side effect was my stomach getting slightly larger... I was in complete denial.

"I just wish someone would answer my calls, the fact that they haven't is making me think the worst."

"I know Moy lybov, but no one has sent messages if anything that could be a sign nobody has been attacked, we have to be hopeful." 

I nodded, staring out the window of the office as Nicholas kissed me on the forehead, "Now please Rose, get some rest."

"No, no I'm fine, I want to stay with you." 

"Fine, will you object to lay back on the sofa with me then."

I hesitated, then said "Fine, but don't expect me to sleep!"

"Ok." Nicholas smiled, pulling me close to him, wrapping his arms around my waist as we lay down.

"See not tired at all." I yawned.

"No, not at all." Nicholas chuckled.

Before I knew it, I was snuggling into my mate's chest and letting the darkness of sleep subdue me. 

...

Whispered yells woke me up, my eyes were heavy and fogged with sleep. I ran a hand through my hair feeling stiff from sleeping on the sofa, Nicholas was gone and I was alone in the office. 

"We have to tell her!" 

"No! Rose is in denial at the moment, but anyone can see she's getting sicker by the day! This would break her!"

"Nicholas they are her family! You have to tell her!"

I slowly got up, shaking slightly, foreboding building in me as I slowly reached the door. 

"Of course I will! Just not yet-"

I opened the door to see Gaby, Leo, and Ilia watching Nicholas and Commander Petrov argue, they all turned to look at me.

"Tell me what?"

"Rose, why aren't sleeping?" Nicholas was nervous, 

"Tell me what?"

"Rose, sweetie you need to remember that we're here for you." Said Gaby, tears glistening in her eyes as she came over to me.

"Tell me what!" I repeated my voice getting slightly louder.

"Sokolov executed his attack five days ago." Said Commander Petrov gravely,

"What," I whispered, my fear building

"We have only just found out due to the loss of communication."

"Where?"

"Rose, love-" Started Nicholas