Chapter Thirteen

Rose's POV

The evening turned into a mix of good and terrible.

Nicholas entered with me on his arm, I felt a subtle change in him as he drew up his walls to show a cool, intimidating exterior. I did my best to cool my emotions and look as regal as him, but I just felt terrified. To measure Nicholas gave me hand to smallest squeeze, sensing my uneasy feelings.

We were announced in Russian, then English, French, Spanish, Italian, and I think mandarin but I wasn't sure. The court was certainly very diverse with a large amount of multicultural guests.

Gradually over the course of the evening we danced, drank and I was introduced to all the Royal advisors, diplomats and high ranking members of the aristocracy. I could barely hold a handful of names and faces in my mind from the vast amount of people I met, thankfully Nicholas didn't leave my side. However, I was created with mix emotions, some of the Russians greeted me with joy and honour, where as others gave me skeptical or even disgusted looks.

As the evening drew on Nicholas and I were divided, though thankfully I managed to find my way to Gaby and Anya, both looking cold and beautiful, holding up their protective exterior. Some Young Russian noble women, spoke loudly in English on purpose, throwing me dark looks, so that I could clearly hear them talking about me, criticising my height and looks.

When one particularly snobbish she-wolf said, "She will dragged down our great monarchy! How on earth can she be King Nicholas' mate, he is too good for an ugly scrawny thing like her." Anya and I were close to snapping, when Gaby threw a look to Ilia and Leo, who both nodded and not much later the bitch was ordered to leave. She through a massive fit, while stomping out, yelling in Russian, glaring at me as she went.

I just looked on coldly, hoping me hard demeanour hid the turmoil going inside me. Gaby went to find Ilia while Anya stayed with me.

"May I have the honour of dancing with you, you majesty?"

I turned to see who had asked. He was handsome, very handsome. If I hadn't already met Nicholas I probably would thought he was the handsomest man I'd ever met. But he was nothing on my Nicholas.

"And you are?" I asked trying to seem dignified, fighting a blush.

"My name is Jasha Provopuskov, son of Lord Provopuskov."

"Interesting, your name means supplanter." Said Anya icily, eyeing Jasha through narrowed eyes.

Jasha chuckled, "I cannot help the name given to me by my parents, but I believe that our new Queen's parents were correct in naming her after the most beautiful flower." He bent taking and kissing my hand.

Anya struggled to hide her snort at his efforts.

"And this," Jasha said motioning to the other handsome young man approaching us, "Is my brother Karik, who would love to the hand of the Lady Anya, to dance."

They were both very tall and handsome, Jasha more than his brother, both with light hazel eyes, and fair brown hair, though Jasha's seemed to be a little blonder than his brother.

"Well, we um-" I started, not completely comfortable with dancing with someone other than Nicholas,

"Please your majesty, you wouldn't want people to think you were scared of acting without being at the King's side, would you?"

He had hit a nerve there, and he knew it, a smirk cracking across his handsome features.

"Very well." I said cooly, Anya shot me a look but quickly agreed to dance with Karik, I suspect to keep an eye on me.