Chapter Nine

Rose's POV

I scowled as we came to the castle doors, after recent events who knows when I would next shift let alone step a foot outside. Nicholas said something about meeting Valentine, I gave a short nod growling a little.

"Don't growl at me Rose." I snarled, clearly as angry as I was still, "We may be mates but I'm still the king and Alpha here!" 

I gave a humourless laugh, "Oh you did not just pull the king card on me! Please Nicholas can you be anymore controlling or Alpha male, it's like I'm a possession to you or am I even worth that! Argh I don't even want to look at you right now." I snapped. 

"ROSE FOR GOD'S SAKE!" He roared, "It is not a crime to be protective of your mate! Nor is it a crime to demand respect! I swear you're the most stubborn and questioning She Wolf I have ever met! Can't you accept that there are things that you shouldn't know for your own protection or other's privacy!" 

My face darkened, but I kept my voice dangerously calm, "Go to your meeting Nicholas, don't worry yourself with little old me." 

And with that I turned my back on him, carrying on down the corridor alone. 

When I came to Nicholas' private wing, I slammed our bedroom door behind me and flung my coat across the room frustrated. I glared at the room, all enclosed brick walls, bookshelves, windows shut on clasps. No openings, little natural light, so different from my own open greenhouse room. 

I sighed, going over to the window to open it and sitting by it just as I had previously, balancing on the ledge with one leg hanging out in the cool winter breeze. My frustration slowly seeped away and I felt the first pangs of homesickness pull at my insides, I missed my home, my parents, my three annoying but amazing brothers. I longed for the warm palace woods filled with bird song and soft golden sunlight that used to give me a tanned glow, now looking down at my skin it looked slightly pale like the beginnings of an ill plant denied of light. 

I shuddered feeling imprisoned, I then scolded myself. 

I wasn't imprisoned! I was with mate, the other part of my soul, even if the other part of my soul wanted me shut away and refused to open up to me. My scowl was back, I kicked at the icicles hanging from the outer window sill, I watched as the shards tumbled down to the depths below the castle. 

I got that Nicholas was protective of me, who wouldn't be protective of the second chance they have of a family. But there was so much he wasn't telling me, what was so wrong with the human town? And what were those creatures he referred to earlier, and what had happened to his family?

I felt that if we continued arguing or clashing at this early stage of our relationship a rift would be caused that wouldn't easily be brought together again. 

I didn't want to lose Nicholas, but I also didn't want to become this quiet doormat for him to walk over and keep shut away safe, enclosed, protected and alone. 

'You're being a little melodramatic.' Said my wolf rolling her eyes in my mind.

'Well what's your suggestion' I snapped. 

My wolf was silent for a while before answering, 'Tell mate what's wrong, ask him questions and tell him your fears. He will listen.'  

She fell silent, leaving me to ponder her words. 

Dam it! I hate it when she's right. 

I sat reading on the window sill until the sun began to set, I felt my stomach growl in hunger, but I ignored it, I wasn't in the mood eat or talk to anyone. Wearily I got down from the window, I then opened all the windows as wide as possible, letting in as much air as possible.