the one with the ferris wheel

sixteen

Fiona and Peter sat down at a shaded bench where they reapplied sunscreen

"I'm not about to get sunburned," Fiona said as she rubbed in the spray on.

Peter chuckled and put the cream on two fingers, tapping her nose and her forehead, along with her cheeks. Fiona rubbed it in and looked up at him.

"Do I look any paler?" She asked and Peter shook his head.

Fiona nodded and smiled, pulling out a water bottle and chugged it down. Peter only watched. She crunches up the bottle and recycled it, looking over at Peter.

"Where to next?" She asked and Peter shrugged, looking around.

"Ferris wheel?" He suggested and Fiona nodded.

They held hands was they walked. Fiona felt their tattoos touching, as if a part of her was hypersensitive to touch when she was in contact with him. She loved it. Fiona had experienced everything with a soulmate. This was new to her. She smiled.

"Whats on your mind?" Peter asked and Fiona looked to him.

"Everything," she said in response, leaning over and kissing his cheek.

Peter smiled as they walked up to the line that was non existent, and they were seated. A few people after them were seated and as they went up, Fiona could hear cranking on the inside of the Ferris Wheel.

She looked to Peter as the cart climbed, abruptly stopping and then climbing again. Peter and Fiona made it to the top of the Ferris wheel when it made its final stop.

"Uhh," Fiona let our, scooting over the side to see what that happening.

The worker slammed on the control box and it blew up in sparks.

"Dumbass!" Fiona yelled and he glared up at her.

He grabbed the megaphone and soon started to speak.

"There seems to be a problem with the Ferris wheel. I'm calling the fire department and maintenance, please excuse this stay calm," he said and Fiona sighed and scooted back towards Peter.

"This is just dandy," She rolled her eyes and leaned on him.

"At least we like each other, imagine being here months ago when we first met," he smiled and Fiona gave a light chuckle.

"Yeah, you were a real bitch," she said and lace his hands with her.

"Because you completely shut me out," he argued, making Fiona frown.

"Because I didn't want to risk another soulmate dying because of me!" She sat up right, looking over at him.

"Johnny was not your fault, and I don't ever want you to think that again," he spoke up sternly, boring his eyes into hers.

Fiona hugged Peter, burying her head into the crook of his neck. That's when Aunt May called, Peter slid his hand into Fiona's bag and pulled it out, answering it while holding Fiona.

"Hey, Aunt May, we're stuck at the top of the Ferris Wheel, the operator called the fire station and maintenance," he said and pulled the phone away from his ear, wincing at the inaudible yelling that came from the earpiece.

"Aunt May, calm down," Peter said, in a soothing tone, putting the phone back to his ear.

Fiona pulled her feet up and laid down on his lap, putting her bags on the seat opposite of them. Peter soon calmed Aunt May down and Fiona watched him. Studied him.

His hand went to her hair and he twirled it in his fingers, massaging her head. Fiona closed her eyes as he hung up.

Peter looked down at her and smiled.

"I love you," he blurted our and Fiona opened her eyes, smiling.

"I know," she said, "I love you too."

Peter blushed and she shut her eyes as he continued to rub her head and mess with her hair.

"What do you mean you know?" He asked and Fiona smiled.

"I can feel it, part of being a deity and all," she explained and Peter nodded.

"I learn more about you everyday," he admitted.

———

They ended up being up there for the whole day, it was sunset when Fiona and Peter were finally able to get down from the Ferris wheel. Fiona caught sight of Aunt May running towards them and pulling them both into tight hugs.

"Thank god you two are safe!" Aunt May cried out, her arms tightening around them.

"Aunt May, you forget who I am?" Peter asked and she glared at him.

"You're the boy I've raised since he was five," she said, grabbing him by the face, "you're the son I never had."

Fiona's heart melted a bit as she watched the interaction.

Aunt May turned to Fiona and pulled her into a hug.

"I was worried about you too, sweetheart," she said and Fiona squeezed Aunt May.

"Your Dad wants you home so he knows you're safe, but I convinced him to let you stay the night tonight, so let's go home," she smiled and Fiona nodded.

As they got back in the subway, Fiona leaned her head on Peters shoulder and pulled out her phone.

They shared earbuds as she played music and texted her father.

Fiona
i'm safe. we're on the subway back.

dad
good. stay on edge and don't wander from May. and no fooling around with Peter!!

Fiona
lol I won't. Good night.

dad
goodnight

Fiona smiled and locked her phone, stuffing it back into her pocket. A family had gotten up and left at their stop, so Fiona and Peter sat down, allowing Fiona to fall asleep on Peter.

Peter looked down at the girl he fell in love with and smiled.

He loved everything about her. Except for the killing.

Peter was conflicted.

He didn't know how long he could go on with Kalma killing anyone bad. Justice isn't always death. Justice is having to understand the density of your crimes. Justice is the bad guy living with regret. Justice is also making sure that the crime stops.

Killing the bad guy is still killing. Peter frowned and leaned his head on Fiona's.

Peter hates Kalma.