the one where it goes wrong

seventeen

Peter couldn't handle another month

Peter couldn't handle another month. He stood off on the side of the building, watching as Kalma used her powers to kill someone. He shot a web and swung off. He could barely stomach watching someone die, he couldn't imagine killing someone.

He wonders if Kalma is the only thing in Fiona. He resents Kalma for taking his soulmate.

Peter crawled into his room and took off his suit. Changing into sweatpants and a gray, long sleeved shirt that belonged to Ben before he lost weight.

Peter sat on his bed, putting his head in his hands.

"Ben, I need your help," Peter muttered, laying back and stared at the bottom of the top bunk.

"Whose Ben?" Peter heard and he sat up. He turned to see Fiona climbing into his room, taking off her mask.

Peter was wide eyed and unsure.

He remembers to man she had just killed. He watches as Fiona leans in and kisses him.

It doesn't feel right.

Peter pulled away, looking down. He tears up. His mind is fumbled on what to say but his heart is sure on the message. He loves Fiona, but not Kalma. And he can't stand a second when Kalma takes full control.

Fiona tilts his chin up.

"What's wrong, Peter?" She asked and Peter shook his head.

"Sit down," He said and she did.

He sat next to her. Her heart felt something off. She was queasy. Her mind overthinking the worst.

And the next five words is what she had put at the top of the list of most heartbreaking things she's heard in all her lifetimes.

It was slow. It trapped her heart, crushing it more and more with no mercy or sign of release.

Fiona felt her eyes well up.

Peters gut wretched as he saw the light leave the love of his life's eyes. He didn't want this. But he didn't want her to kill anymore. Not in such a brutal way.

"Can I ask why?" She asks, he voice trembling.

Peter couldn't look her in the eyes.

"Kalma, the killing," Peter said and Fiona's jaw dropped.

"You're breaking up with me, because of something that's part of who I am?" She asked.

Peters head shot up and he shook his head.

"Fiona is my soulmate, Fiona is the wisecracker who stands up for what she believes in, she picks on the bully to keep the victim safe," he said.

"Kalma is not my Soulmate," he said and she stood up, tears flowing.

"Don't ever speak to me, or of me again," she said, her voice cracking.

And in blurred vision, she left. Peters eyes welled up to the point of distorted vision and wet cheeks as he watched the love of his life leave from his window. Hurt. Hurt by his doing.

Peter crawled up into a ball, pulling the blanket Fiona bought for him over him.

Peter Parker hates Kalma and himself.

———

Peter woke up to May shaking his shoulder, a worried look on her face.

"Peter, your eyes are swollen why were you crying?" She asked and he shook his head, getting up off the bed.

May grabbed his shoulder and pushed him back down.

"What happened?" She asked and sat down next to him.

Peters eyes welled up. He told her about it. How Kalma works inside of Fiona. How she kills. How she could kiss him a minute after, as if she doesn't have remorse.

And he told her about the brokenness of Kalma. How she loves and loses. How she has to deal with that constant pain. Knowing she'll never see those soulmates in the afterlife with her father.

Peter sniffed and wiped his cheeks. Boys don't cry.

He sighed and looked over at Aunt May. She wore an expression of mixed emotions. Shock, Pain, Empathy. Nostalgia.

Aunt May went through breakups before. She's lost people she's loved. Peter looked down at his lap and Aunt May wrapped an arm around him. She held him tight and he leaned his head into her shoulder.

"If Ben were here he'd know what to do," May frowned as she spoke, lookin down at Peter.

"I'm not sure breaking up with her was the best idea," Aunt May reluctantly said, Peter shrugged.

"I don't think I can handle that, knowing that she kills so easily," he said softly and Aunt May nodded.

"I understand, maybe she'll come around and see reason, but know that in two years you're getting married, and your first kids is required by twenty two, new law, we're underpopulated," Aunt May brought up and stood up.

Peter laid back down and watched as Aunt May draped the blanket over him and smiled sadly.

"Sleep on the decision, follow what your heart says," Aunt May whispered and Peter fell asleep.

———

short chapter