Part 2

"Yoohoo! May-senpai~!" a disembodied voice echoes through the air, snapping said girl out of her thoughts.

"What?" she wonders, taking her gaze from the sunlit park and pond by looking up to see a bright pink blob soaring right at her. Waving behind her like a flag in the wind is a green blob similar in size.

As the blobs grows closer, May can distinct them to be people; one in the form of an overly excited grim reaper and the other as a bewildered looking boy. "Botan." May acknowledges simply as they hop off her oar.

She glances at the boy who looks back at her with curiosity in his doe-like brown eyes. "Botan...How many times do I have to tell you to ferry away the souls as quickly as possible? You know what happens to wandering souls." May scolds the blue-haired and pink-eyed grim reaper before her.

Botan only smiles back at her with a cat-like grin, though obviously feeling intimidated, as she seems to shrink in size. "I know, I know. But this is different!" Botan objects, making May tilt her head and pluck at the loose strands in her braid, disheveling it even further.

"Oh? Do tell." she urges, not convinced.

Botan straightens herself, before motioning to the boy next to her, who hasn't said a word as of yet. "This is Yusuke Urameshi. Yusuke, meet May, she's a grim reaper like myself, though we work in different departments. I process the acutely dead, like accidental deaths such as yourself, while May here processes those who die of illness and sometimes even suicides when Hana-chan is off duty." Botan explains happily.

"Fun." Yusuke mutters under his breath, not looking very excited, on the contrary.

"Anyway." Botan starts again, turning to her senior co-worker. "Yusuke here is still hanging around, because he wasn't supposed to die." she explains.

"Did you check your book?" May intervenes before she can continue.

"Yes! Yes! Of course I did!" Botan huffs indignantly. "I already took him to see Koenma-sama and he told us to wait until he figured out what to do. Ne May-senpai, what do you think he will decide on?" she wonders, clasping her hands together and gazing up at the sky in thought.

May once again looks at the boy, slightly surprised. She can't remember having dealt with such a case as this herself. She heard about it though. "A trial maybe?" she mutters to herself as she scrutinizes Yusuke.

"Trial?" Yusuke questions, his eyes widening with interest.

Botan snaps back to the present at the mention of the word. "You really think so?" she wonders in awe.

May shrugs in reply. "Perhaps, perhaps not. One never knows when it comes to Koenma."

"Hey hey, what is this 'trial' you're talking about?" Yusuke butts in impatiently.

May looks back at him unimpressed. "Let's just say that you better not have a long rep-sheet, or you're done for." she states, making Yusuke swallow hard.

"No worries Yusuke!" Botan pipes up. "You may look like an ordinary thug, but I'm sure you have a good heart inside." she assures him, making him grind his teeth at her half-assed compliment in annoyance.

"Geez, thanks." he spits out.

"You sure have a lot of faith in the kid, Botan. Let's hope he doesn't prove you wrong." May hums.

"Who are you calling a kid?!" Yusuke asks indignantly at the degrading title. "You don't look like you're a day older than me...girl!" he retaliates; making May smirk at him in amusement.

"Nice comeback you twat. Anyway, I've been around long enough to see your grandmother come out of her diapers, so I believe I have certain privileges." she tells him, making him look back at her surprised.