Part 24

Kuwabara rushes to the ground, about to be flattened, but he saves his hide by extending his Spirit sword and pole-vaulting towards Rinku.

Rinku is about to counteract with his yo-yo's, but to his surprise Kuwabara bends his sword around them. They impact at the same time and are thrown out of the ring.

It's silent for a moment before Koto starts to count down. One of them has to make it back to the ring in time to win, or both of them, continuing the match. The girls watch with bathed breath as the time continues to tick by.

"Get up! Get up Kuwabara!" Yusuke shouts in his sleep.

Rinku manages to set himself to his feet first before crawling into the ring where he quickly proceeds to heal himself of the wound he sustained with a grimace. Meanwhile, Yusuke continues to urge Kuwabara on, insulting him to get him going, and it's working.

Kuwabara jumps to his feet angrily. But instead of returning to the ring immediately, he goes to give Yusuke a piece of his mind.

"Kuwabara! Get back in there!" May shouts, returning to her team quickly.

"Ah! Right!" he exclaims, hearing the countdown on his behalf. He quickly tries to step up there, but to his surprise, is held back by Rinku's yo-yo's. The boy strains to keep Kuwabara out, not having much energy left.

"10!!" Koto calls, making Kuwabara's struggling seize. He falls down in defeat and the yo-yo's slacken around him.

"That was rather anti-climactic." May sighs to herself, putting a hand to her forehead.

Rinku quickly retreats from the tantrum-throwing Kuwabara, healing himself further. With the first fight over, it's time for the next to fighters to step up.

A purple-skinned guy with dark hair dressed in a trench coat steps up to the plate for the Rokuyukai team. "Alright. I'll go next." Kurama states, looking unconcerned before stepping forward.

May silently wishes him good luck. Something tells her that during this tournament, she is going to be having a hard time hiding how she feels about the red head. She hopes she won't do anything stupid to betray them.

Kurama and his opponent, Roto, stare each other down for a few tense moments. May picks at a thread of her top nervously, waiting for the fight to start before Botan suddenly shows up behind her.

"Hey Botan, what did I just tell you?" May asks the perky reaper with a scowl on her face.

Hiei matches her scowl. "Go on back now. You'll get hurt." he warns, backing May up.

Botan pouts at the fire demon. "You can't talk to me like that you know! I'm over here worried for everyone's sake!" she says, only to have Hiei ignore her.

Kuwabara startles. "Does that mean you're going to take Urameshi's place?!"

Botan chuckles. "No, I'm not. Ta-da!" she exclaims, whipping off her kimono to reveal another outfit under it. "From now on, just call me Spirit realm trainer, Botan-chan!"

"What now?" Hiei muses, looking bored at the girl's antics.

"And what will be Sprit realm trainer Botan-chan's purpose be, might I ask?" May sighs.

Botan grins widely. "I'll be looking after everyone's condition of course!" she reveals, making Kuwabara perk up, looking to be expecting a massage or something, only to be disappointed when Botan rushes up to Yusuke and starts smacking him in an attempt to rouse the boy.

May stares at the girl in amazement. "Botan, don't you reckon that's a bit counterproductive?" she asks before sighing and pulling the girl away from poor Yusuke. "Step back a little would you?" she urges, knowing Botan could get hurt so close to the ring.