Part 15

"Kuwabara, your speed is lacking." Kurama observes pointedly as he runs over everything he came across the day before. "Perhaps..." he starts, trying to think of a way to help the tall human. "Perhaps we can ask May to help you." he states, turning his eyes towards the girl.

"What? Me?" she wonders in surprise, making Kurama nod.

"You're quick on your feet." he tells her.

"How can you even tell? You hardly saw me fight." she points out. The only time he saw was in the hospital.

Kurama smirks knowingly. "I've seen enough." he says, making May sigh. "Please May. It will be of great help. I do not mean to sound insensitive, but I need some time to train on my own today." he urges her.

May purses her lips before giving in, ignoring the victorious smile on the red head's face. "Oh alright." she huffs.

"A-are you sure? I-I don't usually fight girls you know. It's kinda against my code." Kuwabara starts hesitantly.

Kurama pats his shoulder. "Don't worry, I'm sure May will be fine. Remember, your speed can be greatly increased if you learn to anticipate your opponent's moves." he tells Kuwabara before getting to his feet after setting his now empty plate aside.

"I will probably return late, do not wait up for me." Kurama tells them before leaving May and Kuwabara at the camp by themselves.

May sighs before looking back at Kuwabara. "Don't look so scared." she scolds lightly. "Just pretend I'm Yusuke for today." she suggest, making him flinch.

"No way! Ugh. Now I imagined him with girly parts on him. Thanks for that!" Kuwabara scowls, making May snicker.

"Okay, forget about that. Come on Kuwabara. Let's get this over with." May urges, setting off towards the clearing where he and Kurama have been training for the last two days.

They try several ways to increase Kuwabara's speed and to make him think ahead without so much as to have to actually fight. This settles Kuwabara's worries a bit and they spend hours to work on his skills.

May darts forward, her hand reaching out toward Kuwabara's outer leg to tap it, but he dodges. May smiles at that, standing up straight again. "You're improving already. I haven't been able to tap you for the last five tries in a row." she informs him, making him grin proudly.

"Thanks May. Your way of raining is really creative. It's more fun than being beat into the ground." Kuwabara compliments, breathing hard.

"Let's call it a day. I'm getting pretty tired here." she suggest, making Kuwabara nod.

After returning to camp, they cook dinner together and eat. They don't suppose Kurama will return anytime soon yet, so they make just enough for the two of them.

"How do you think Yusuke is doing?" Kuwabara asks suddenly, making May's mind rush to the other boy as well.

"He's fine, I'm sure. Probably not very happy with Genkai though." she tells him. "I was thinking to make a quick visit next week, if Genkai will allow me."

Kuwabara nods, deep in thought it seems as he stares at the ground with a look of focus and determination. He has his moments when he doesn't goof off and appears very mature.

"I'm going to take a bath." May announces, grabbing her supplies.

"Here, take this lantern. It get dark quickly in the forest." Kuwabara offer, tossing her a flashlight.

"Thanks." May smiles at his consideration before stalking off to the hot spring she found before.

She sighs as she lets herself sink into the shallow pool. It's a bit on the hot side, but it's just what she needs. Her muscles had a workout too as she helped Kuwabara out.

She soaks for a bit, resting her head back on the soil behind her and stares at the sky, feeling perfectly at peace. One wouldn't think a storm is brewing, filled with death and despair as she lies there with only the sound of birds chirping to keep her company.

The song of the birds is eventually replaced with the sound of cicadas, making May end her peaceful bath. She shivers at the cold air, quickly drying off and putting on her nightclothes. She hurries back to camp so she can dive into her tent and snuggle in her sleeping bag.

"Oh, pretty." she breathes as she spot a small group of irises at the base of a tree. She picks one. Perhaps she can dry it in her book. She brought along a novel with her: Musashi. It's thick enough to keep her occupied for a while. She likes the story very much.

Kuwabara is already sound asleep when she reaches camp, his snores come from within his tent. Kurama has still not returned, but May doesn't worry. He can handle himself.

May stokes up the fire for one last time before huddling in her tent and picking up her book. She will read a bit more before going to sleep.

Kurama returned around midnight, stepping into their camp silently. The fire was still burning, but diminishing slowly. He looked around to find none of his companions awake. Kuwabara's tent was shut tight; May's however was still open.

Kurama stepped closer to see her sleeping with her head by the entrance, a book was held loosely in her right hand, opened about midway. She must have been reading by the light of the fire.

Her left hand lays beside the back of her head, clutching an iris, or rather, the iris clutching onto her. Kurama crouches down by May to see that the flower has grown fresh roots and are traveling down May's wrist, wrapping up her hand in white threads.

Kurama reaches out quickly, taking hold of the flower's stem and forces it to retreat its mischievous roots before taking it from May's hand carefully. He eyes the flower for a moment before glancing at May.

He had his suspicions that he somehow projected some of his powers onto the girl when resurrecting her with his energy, but this certainly confirms it. To what extend will they come to reach, he wonders.

He will certainly need to discuss this with her at some point. With plants feeding off of her energy without her knowledge, it could prove to be dangerous. But until the time comes when she will be able to control it, he will have to keep an extra eye out for her.

He cannot bring himself to mind, but he does however regret to having caused her trouble, again. He unknowingly seems to inconvenience her more then he would care for.

With a silent sigh passing past his lips, he tucks away a stray lock of hair from May's face, noting to himself how soft it is, before rising as taking the flower with him. He plants it in the soil near her tent so it will still be close to her to bask in her energy. It looks satisfied with the move.

Kurama then turns in, leaving the flap of his tent open by a smidge, just enough to still be able to see the top of May's head across the clearing. Folding his hands behind his head, he waits until his eyes start to droop and his mind shuts down for the night.