Part 11

"I'll uh... I'll be heading home." Kuwabara tells them quietly as the silence thickens. They just explained to her what Koenma and they did and what...state...she is in.

The boy flees the room. He doesn't know May well enough to be a part of the emotional aftermath that will surely follow.

"So what now?" May asks as she sits with her back leaning against the wall, clutching Yusuke's pillow to her chest.

"I'm suddenly alive again. So what do you expect me to do now?" she asks more explicitly, her voice sharp enough to make them flinch.

"Sorry." she whispers, curling further into herself. She's not exactly mad at them, she can't be. They only did what they thought was best for her. It's just... She's scared. They could understand that right?

"Well, I guess you start living. Just like other humans." Yusuke tells her, gazing at her from his spot on the floor on the opposite side of the room.

"What does that even mean?" she questions. "Do I just get up in the morning, go to school, go out with friends in my free time? What?" she wonders, sounding exasperated.

"I will never be like a normal human. I have a history of being something else. Am I just to forget about all that? Besides, the last time I was alive, the world was a very different place. I hardly know the ways of this one. You can't expect me to just blend in flawlessly." she tells him.

"Nobody is expecting you to May." Kurama assures her calmly from his place next to her. His voice still holds that gentle tone he had before. "You can lean on us until you are ready to brave this world on your own. You can take it one step at a time."

May releases a shuddering breath. Her head is pounding. Her body sags as she grows too tired to keep up her tense posture, making her knee bump against Kurama's as he has his knees propped up as well.

He reaches out, squeezing her knee gently before crawling off the bed, getting to his feet slowly. May just now notices the bags under his eyes. He looks extremely tired, though that might have something to do with him giving part of his life energy to her.

"Get some sleep May. We will talk again tomorrow and see where we'll go from there." he tells her, before nodding at Yusuke and Botan who has stayed uncharacteristically silent.

"Goodnight." he greets them before leaving the Urameshi household.

Botan gets to her feet also, timidly approaching May before reaching forward and giving a small hug. May returns the gesture before feeling her shoulder grow wet. She realizes that Botan is crying.

Sighing, May pushes Botan back gently; wiping the tears from the grim reapers face like one would for a little sister. "Now none of that Botan." she scolds gently, pulling up a small smile from somewhere for the girl's sake.

"Sorry." Botan sniffles. "I'm just so glad you're back." she confesses, making May nod in understanding.

"Get some sleep Botan." she tells the blue-eyed girl, who nods slowly in reply. She leaves quietly with a small wave.

That just leaves May and Yusuke. They both stare at the ground for a moment, gathering their thoughts before May gets up shakily to go to her own room.

"Careful there." Yusuke warns, jumping to his feet so he can help the still adjusting girl to her room.

"Yusuke..." she starts after he sets her down on her own bed.

"Yeah?" he breathes quietly.

"Is it okay if I stay here for a while longer?" May asks uncertainly, gnawing on her bottom lip.