Part 30

"Kurama!" May shouts again, this time her hands slapping on the ring as she tries to look at his face. Blood is dripping from his body steadily. He needs to get down so she can help him.

"It's no use. He's out cold." Yusuke mutters worriedly. "I'll go get him." he tells her, looking pained after seeing how much this worry for the fox spirit is eating at his sister figure.

It had been a harsh set of fights: Firstly Gama, who sealed Kurama's body and later also his spirit energy. And right after Touya, a powerful ice demon who nearly killed him if it wasn't for him risking to grow Shimaneki grass inside his body to circumvent the loss of his Demon energy, feeding it with his life's energy instead.

That grass is the only reason why Kurama is still on his feet, but otherwise, he's completely out of it.

"Hey referee! I'm swapping in! I'll fight from here on!" Yusuke calls, going to climb into the ring.

"Oh no, you can't do that." a voice calls back as a large toned man steps up to Kurama and Koto who is beside him still after checking that he is indeed still alive.

"This guy's still standing here, ain't he?" he smirks, leaning over the unknowing redhead. "Well now, this time you have to take on me; Bakken-sama!"

Yusuke growls. "You dumbass. Kurama can't fight anymore! I'm fighting from here on!"

"Koto!" May shouts, making the fox girl's head snap at her. "You can make the call! You know there is no way he's fighting!" she urges, hoping she will hurry.

Koto nods. "I-I will allow the swap!" she judges.

However, despite her ruling, the big guys up there rule differently and judge that Kurama is to continue fighting.

Fear grips May's heart. "Yusuke!" she calls, looking to him for help. If the fight is allowed, Bakken will kill Kurama for sure. Yusuke looks up at the two in shock, not sure what to do.

Bakken chuckles, picking up a struggling Koto by the scruff of her neck. "They are saying you aren't fit to be the referee." he tells her before tossing her off the ring, making her land in a heap, though she looks to be okay.

Bakken steps up in front of Kurama. "Okay, let's get down to enjoying this." he chuckles once again before landing a solid hit on Kurama, making him fly back.

"Cut it out already! Come on!" Kuwabara shouts.

"You call yourself a man!?" Botan adds angrily.

Bakken laughs down at Kurama's body. "You make a good punching bag. There, you see?" he says, kicking him in the side. May flinches harshly.

Koto has returned to the side of the ring. "Contestant Kurama is down! Contestant Bakken, step away!" she calls, making him round on her. "I-I'm going to count..." she stammers.

As she counts, Bakken picks up Kurama, setting him upright. "Now he's no longer down. The match continues." he states without a care, before punching Kurama in the gut, followed by a few more hits before his shirt rips, making him fall to the ground.

May is watching, horror-stricken as a fresh flow of blood starts to poor from his head. "S-Stop it!" she can't help but call out.

Koto looks grossed out at the way this match is conducted and rushes between Kurama and Bakken. This is entirely against her principles. She is eager to finish her ten count this time. However, she is smacked aside harshly. Bakken has no ears for her.

Yusuke clenches his fists, feeling like he's about to reach the limit of his patience. He glances at the shaking figure of May next to him. She looks like she's ready to crumble apart. He has never seen her look so scared, so helpless.

His eyes widen when a lone tear rolls down her red cheek as Kurama's name rolls softly of her tongue. 'May... Do you love him?' he wonders to himself, before letting his eyes travel to Kurama. He wonders what will happen to her, with him gone...

Bakken steps up to Kurama, picking him up once again, clear set on killing him. "Now to finish you off! I'm going to turn your face into putty!"

"Bastard!" Yusuke growls, a fire in his eyes that threatens to consume Bakken.

A fist flies at Kurama, but a voice calls out from one of his teammates, "Quit it, Bakken!"

Bakken halts in his tracks. "What was that Risho?"

"I said quit it." the cloaked man repeats. "If you had hit him, you would have been killed. Look behind you."

"What?" Bakken questions, turning to look back to see Yusuke pointing his finger at him, ready to blast him to pieces. He's seething.

Risho speaks up again, "He means it. Even if it means disobeying the tournament's rules and taking on every Demon in the stadium, he probably would have fired his Spirit gun." he explains. "Our purpose here is to find our way through. There is no need to kill each other wastefully."

Bakken is reluctant to listen at first, but after taking another glance in Yusuke's direction, he relents. "Fine. I'll return him to you!" he calls, tossing Kurama unceremoniously out of the ring. May is with him in a flash.

She looks up when Yusuke crouches down on the other side and picks Kurama up. "Come on May." he ushers gently, walking over to set Kurama down in a more suited place, leaving May to follow.

"I'm leaving him to you, okay?" he asks the still teary eyed girl, who has fallen silent. She only nods quietly in reply. "I'll take him down good for ya." he promises, setting his eyes on Bakken.

"What's that look for?" Bakken asks, looking down at Yusuke. "Did you think that look would shy me away or something? Who do you think I am?!"

"Is that how badly you want an early death?" Yusuke counters, carrying every intention in him to make Bakken suffer. He steps into the ring, set on destruction, leaving May and Kurama behind.

May places her hands gently on Kurama, hoping she can at least repeat that trick she pulled when Kurama was training so carelessly. She will give all her energy to safe his life if she has to.