Part 34

"Urameshi hasn't come back to the hotel. Where the hell has he gone?" Kuwabara wonders, glancing outside past Hiei to the pouring rain.

"Indeed..." Kurama muses, looking down at his cards.

He and Kuwabara have engaged in a friendly game. He reaches to take one of the other boy's cards when Kuwabara mentions the upcoming match.

That reminds him, "Beginning with the semi-finals, I heard we will move to a different arena, so the conditions will be more severe too. No doubt about it."

"Fine with me!" Kuwabara calls excitedly. "Let them bring out the guns and arrows against us, I say!" he says confidently before picking a joker from Kurama's hand, making him balk.

The door to Kurama's shared bedroom opens to reveal May, fresh out of the shower, her hair still damp. She pauses by the window, taking in the storm raging outside.

"It's really coming down hard tonight... I hope they're not getting themselves sick." she mumbles, hoping that Yusuke and Genkai are at least high and dry somewhere.

Kuwabara waves it off, "I don't know about the Mask, but Yusuke has the health of a pack of horses combined. Never seen him get sick once, only try and pretend to get out of school though. Lousy actor..." he mutters the last part under his breath, but it has May smile a little.

Suddenly the door to the hotel room opens wide, revealing the girls. May's eyes fall upon the girl she has yet to properly meet and now that she sees her up close, something suddenly clicks....

"Oh my-...Argh!" she releases a strangled noise when a hand claps over her mouth so hard it nearly knocks her off her feet.

She slaps Hiei's hand away, turning to glare at the fire demon. "What the hell?!" she shouts, but is met with such a desperate stare that she falters. Through his eyes he's trying to convey a silent message.

After a minute of intense silence, May sighs, her shoulders sagging in dismay. She knows what he's trying to say. She doesn't know why, but Hiei doesn't want the word out there that his sister is right on the other side of the room. The jabs towards him earlier that day suddenly start to make a lot of sense.

All she says before turning away from him is, "Okay."

Visibly relieved that she won't start blabbing, Hiei sits back down. He returns to staring outside, or so he makes it appear. With a final shared look between May and Kurama, who nods at her with an understanding smile, May turns to the girls.

"Hello, you must be Yukina." she speaks up as she steps up to the ruby eyed girl, making the girls snap out of their musings on the weird behavior between Hiei and May.

The girl smiles gently, "I am. You must be May then? The girls told me a little about you."

May returns the smile, she can't help but feel all gooey inside from Yukina's calm and kind aura that just seems to absorb the room. It's like she took a long bath with calming scented candles and is ready to be lulled into the best sleep she will ever have... with kittens.

"N-nice to meet you." May stammers a little.

The girls join them, soon making a party out of their get together, but May's eyes are mostly on Puu, who looks pretty unhappy. She pets the spirit animal that has settled on her lap.

'Yusuke's having a hard time huh? It will be okay. Push on a little longer Yusuke.'

Noticing her pondering and the frown etched on her face, Kurama reaches a hand out, taking hold of her free hand and gently begins rubbing circles with his thumb on the back of her hand in a comforting gesture. May looks up, giving him a grateful smile. A sudden gasp tears their attention away from each other though. They find Botan across from them, her mouth wide open and her finger pointing accusingly at them.

"How could you not tell me May-chan?! I'm so disappointed and happy at the same time! Waaah!" she wails, making the two cringe and quickly hide their hands, but the damage is already done.

"Botched it up with your carelessness." Shizuru smirk and Kurama's eyes have grown large at his mistake, a blush dusting his cheeks in embarrassment.

Keiko looks nothing but happy and Yukina is slightly confused at why this is a big deal, but smiles warmly none the less.

"And here you left me thinking that maybe you and Hiei were into each other, waaaah!" Botan adds to her crying, making May and Hiei share a horrified look while Kuwabara cracks up.

.........

May groans when the alarm starts to blear next to her ear. She quickly shuts the thing off before her eardrums explode. Sighing she turns on her other side, hiding her face in Kurama's chest, the smell of roses filling her nose. His arm tightens around her for a moment, his lips planting a kiss in her hair before he lets go, rolling away to get out of bed only to jerk back when a hand clutches tightly on the back of his t-shirt.

"May, love, I really need to get out." he sighs, looking back at her in amusement.

She slowly opens her eyes, looking back at him through her thick lashes. "You sure?"

He nods in answer before he's released from her death grip, "Your loss." she mutters, rolling into the comforter until she is resembles a spring roll lying in the middle of the bed. Kurama chuckles at her antics.

"You're not leaving the bed today?" he asks teasingly, leaning over her.

"I will eventually. Someone has to make sure you don't kill yourself." she speaks sleepily from her wrap.

Kurama raises a brow. "Don't you mean, 'don't get killed'?"

She shakes her head. "No, no one can kill you but yourself with your crazy actions. I'm here to remind you that I can and will find you if you pull anything and make you regret it." she tells him casually, though there is a hidden promise in her words.

"Alright then. Though I'm not sure what to think about your faith in me. It's uplifting and insulting at the same time." Kurama says lightheartedly, leaning down further to peck her forehead before heading towards the bathroom.

"Consider it a compliment and a deterrent, because I love you and I don't want to lose you." she says to his back, making him pause.

He looks back over his shoulder, meeting her sapphire eyes as she gazes across the room at him over the rim of the comforter. He can't help but give her a loving smile before glancing towards the clock.

"I think I can spare another five minutes." he states before stalking towards her. "Is there any room left in that burrito of yours?"

Thank you Heather for Beta reading again!

And thanks for the reviews my readers!