Part 9

May worked through the city, finding Botan running through alleyways like death is on her heels. "Where are you off to?" she asks, knocking out a guy that was chasing her around.

"May-senpai!" Botan squeaks in surprise before launching herself at the girl who has to dodge the baseball bat she carries.

"I was worried. I expected you to find me sooner." she complains, before blinking at her senior. "Are you okay? You sense a bit...off." she wonders, tilting her head in confusion.

"I'm fine." May brushes her off, not willing to worry her even more on how she fought tooth and nail to even get to her with all the ghouls hording around her, not to mention the humans that have become possessed.

She's not even sure how long she can stick with Botan before putting her in danger as well. She glances around wearily to check if there are any ghouls around.

Botan pouts, not pushing the matter, though not really taking May's word for it. "May-senpai, things are getting worse with the hour. I don't know how much longer we can hold on." she sighs.

May nods at the tired looking girl, knowing it will be tough to keep the pace going. "Have you heard anything from Yusuke?" she asks.

"Last time we spoke, they beat two of the four Saint beasts." Botan tells her with an experated sigh. Obviously they are not working fast enough for her liking.

"Are they okay though?" May asks.

Botan nods, smiling. "I think Kurama and Kuwabara were looking a bit roughed up, but they're all still alive. So that's good." she says, going back to her bubbly self.

May rolls her eyes. Of course Kurama had to go and get himself hurt. Wait... "What is Kuwabara doing there?" she questions with accusation lining her tone, making Botan shrink.

"He was very eager." Botan chuckles, awkwardly waving her hand, looking like a blue-haired Maneki neko.

May stares her down for a moment before having to look up when a small group of possessed humans come around the corner, heading straight for them. "Botan, let's go." she orders, taking the girl by the arm and making a run for it.

"Damn." May curses as they run themselves into a tight spot. She wished she had the tools to create a portal, but that too has been stripped from her by Koenma.

They are backed up against a wall as the possessed humans glare at them hungrily. May and Botan brace themselves for a fight before the group suddenly seems to lose their interest in the two of them. They turn around and run off.

"That was weird." Botan says quietly.

May nods in agreement. "I have a bad feeling about this." she says, looking forward to see Yusuke's school ahead of them.

The two girls share a look before running after their attackers, wanting to know what they are after.

They follow them towards the school grounds and Botan gasps as they see Keiko being chased by what looks to be one of the teachers.

"Of course." May states as everything clicks. "That girl just has the worst luck in the world." May realizes that Keiko is once again a target to get to Yusuke.

"Botan." she starts, turning to the other girl. "Get Keiko and hide. I'll distract them." she tells Botan, who looks reluctant. "Go now!" May growls, making Botan leap into action.

Botan manages to pull Keiko away into a bush and as the possessed humans look around for her, May steps out. "Looking for someone? If you want Keiko, you have will have to follow me!" she calls out.