Part 25

May's mind is still reeling from the events of the day when she gets ready for bed that night. After Hiei just about made Zeru vanish into thin air after sicking his Dragon of the Darkness Flame on him, and Yusuke waking up to face the drunkard Chu who appeared out of nowhere when the remaining team members fled, they had won the match and lived to die another day.

They had taken the liberty to have a little celebration before turning in. They at least deserved that much.

May pauses as she steps out of the bathroom in her pajamas, a blue silken robe covering her frame. Kurama sits on the edge of his bed, appearing to be deep in thought. He's been rather quiet since they got back to the hotel.

"What's wrong?" she asks, knowing something is eating at him. She sits across from him on her own bed, waiting patiently for him to speak.

After a moment he does, without lifting his eyes to look at her. "Maybe it's a mistake." he tells her lowly as he bites down on his thumb nail.

May blinks in confusion. "What is?" she asks calmly, watching him shift.

He leans his arms on his knees, his eyes drilling into the carpet. "Us." he finally says, shocking May.

"Kurama...?" she breathes in surprise. She feels her heart clenching at his words.

"Today has proven it..." he continues before she can say anymore. "Already my mother has been used against me...Chances are that you're next. I cannot allow that." he states. "May, we must put an end to what we have." he concludes, finally lifting his eyes to meet her wide ones.

"W-what? No-..." she starts to counter, her heart pounding in her throat, partially from pain and also from anger. He can't just do that to her!

"If you can't, I will May. This is the end for us. I'd rather do this now, before we get more attached." he says, his voice now hard. He stands up and walks to the window, his posture tense as he watches her reflection looking at his back, stumped.

He looks away quickly, not wanting to see her look at him like that, like he betrayed her. He instead turns his gaze to the empty darkness outside that is more and more starting to resemble the haze in his mind.

Caught up in his own thoughts, he nearly startles when he feels a tap on his shoulder. He sighs, not wanting to drag this out. He turns to face her, "May..."

A loud crack echoes through the room when her flat palm meets the side of his face, right onto his healing cuts that she tended to earlier. It leaves an unpleasant sting.

He looks down at her shocked, her turquoise eyes glaring up at him harshly and unrelenting. She doesn't look to be grieving at all, just resembling the epitome of womanly fury. Of all the reactions his mind made up over the last few hours, this wasn't exactly it. Her grounded posture and blazing expression are so beautiful it almost make him drop to his knees and ask for forgiveness

"No! You can not play with my feelings like that!" she yells at him, finger raised. "You cannot make me care for you, make me... fall in love... and then cut me like a puppet on a string!" she heaves, for the first time admitting to him that she fell for him out loud.

"If you didn't want to endanger my life than you should've thought of it earlier, before we had come this far!" she scolds him. He swallows hard, knowing she has a valid point.

"You think I like seeing you risk your life? I don't for the record. But, you don't see me running off like a coward. I'm trying to stay strong and hope something good will come out of it in the end, but you go ahead and disregard my efforts by being all self-righteous! How selfish of you!" she spits, making him flinch.

"Can you not stop acting like a bad cliché for once? If you care at all, if you have any courage in your bones at all, you will not let fear take over. You will not play in their hands by isolating yourself. They don't deserve it to see you cower with your tail between your legs-..!"

May gasps as a pair of lips covers her own, silencing her rant. She blinks in shock for a moment before wrapping her arms around Kurama's neck, making his own tighten around her waist. Still high on adrenaline, she presses against him.

One of his hands starts to travel upwards, tickling her side a little, making her gasp once more. Kurama takes this opportune moment to invade her mouth and explore all the crevices, the sensation causes her to grab a fist full of his lush hair.

Kurama's hand reaches the back of her head and digs his long fingers into her own tresses, pulling gently to tilt her head slightly for better access.

May releases a sigh through her nose before sucking in a breath when his lips leave hers, only to touch down upon the tender skin below her ear and behind her jaw. A shiver runs up her spine at the sensation. She's not sure if his lips are the cause of his fingers as they trail their way along it.

Kurama slowly halts his administrations, his breath warming her neck as he takes slow and deep breaths. May is nearly limp in his arms. She is sure she would've dropped to the floor if he didn't hold her so tightly against him.

"I'm sorry May." he whispers in her ear, just loud enough to overcome the sound of her blood rushing in her veins. "Please forgive me my foolishness."

He pulls back to look into her face, his eyes sorrowful now that the lust has ebbed away. He gazes at her flushed face, anxious like he's never been before.

"You're an idiot." she breathes from her swollen lips.

He can't help but smile gently; knowing that he's been forgiven in her own half-assed way. "I know." he nods in agreement.

She releases a deep sigh before letting her head drop to his chest, wrapping her arms around his waist. Kurama responds by wrapping his arms around her shoulders, holding her in a tight embrace.

"Don't let me ever catch you acting like that again Kurama." she mumbles into his chest. "I'll resent you forever if you do." she warns.

He kisses the top of her head. "I wouldn't dare." he tells her, knowing fullheartedly that it's the truth. He's impressed by the strength of mind she just showed him. He is pretty confident that when it comes to it, she is the stronger one of the both of them.

Now knowing the consequences of trying to keep her at a distance, he has to change his strategy. Instead of pushing her away, he will hold her close, very close. He will protect her from harm that is sure to come her way and he will teach all those who dare try mess with what is his, a painful lesson.

Well, that escalated quickly. I hope you liked it though. I didn't want them to turn into a major cliché. May is a big girl and can put her foot down if she wants to and so she does.

Anyway, sorry to those who expected me to write down all the fights in full detail. I don't want to go down that road from fear of making it look like my other story too much. I will write out what I feel is needed, but if I can skip a fight here and there, I will.