Part 21

May watches Kuwabara eye the masked fighter again. They haven't spoken up once and so she still has no idea who it could be.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm getting some shut eye." Yusuke sighs, sitting down to lean against the railing where May is dangling her feet, having taken a seat on it. He probably needs it after the training he has been through, so she just lets him do his thing.

"All things considered, this boat is pretty dismal, huh?" Hiei muses, eying the vessel boredly from his perch on top of the railing.

"We're not going sightseeing here, after all." Kurama reminds him, his arms crossed and his eyes closed as he stands there leaning on the railing in between May and Hiei.

"That's true, but they could at least give us something to eat, couldn't they? I'm starving here." Kuwabara complains, his stomach growling.

"I'm not sure I would trust anything dished out here." May speaks up.

"Meh." Kuwabara shrugs. "If I die with a full stomach, I die a happy man." he tells her, making her chuckle.

"You would." she grins.

Suddenly the captain's voice blares through the speakers, grabbing their attention. "Everyone, if you would please be quiet.... Before the boat reaches the island, and if you don't mind us calling it a replacement for the banquet, I would like to offer a little something by way of entertainment." he states.

Kuwabara leaps to his feat, getting excited, but has to real himself in quick as the captain continues; "Beginning now, we're going to 'old the preliminary tournament." he reveals, shocking them all.

Suddenly the boat starts to rock, and May has to hold on tight so she won't tumble off. To be safe she jumps down to the deck.

They watch as a ring rises from the deck after it opened up. "This is where you will fight!" the captain tells everyone. "As it 'appens, fifteen of the teams who will be appearing in the Dark Tournament 'ave already been determined and are standing by on the island. There is only one team on this boat that will be able to participate." he reveals.

"Surprise, surprise." May mutters, a scowl on her face.

"We aren't guest then?" Kuwabara wonders confused.

"This is the way they operate." Hiei tells him, undeterred. He was clearly expecting something to happen.

"Please choose who you think is the strongest contestant on your teams. They will fight atop 'ere in a battle royal. The team remaining will be given the right to enter the tournament on Kibikukuri island." the captain explains.

"Alright, let's do this!" Kuwabara states, getting pumped. "Who's going to do this?" he asks, eying his teammates. "Do we flip a coin?"

"Or let the team-captain decide?" Kurama adds with a smile, receiving a glare from May.

"Knock it off. I told you to pretend like I'm not even here." she grumbles.

Luckily the issue solves itself as the masked fighter steps forward. "I'm interested to see what he can do." Hiei says, watching the figure walk up to the ring.

"You've gotta be kidding me. What are we going to do if he loses?" Kuwabara motions towards the fighter worriedly.

"If that happens, all we have to do is kill everyone on this boat. Once we do that, there'll be nobody to complain." Hiei says, seeming to look forward to it. Kuwabara looks at him disturbed.

They look on, pleasantly surprised as the masked fighter takes down all the demons with one shot of their spirit energy, throwing all opponents overboard.