Part 26

It's everywhere... Flames are licking up the walls, crawling their way onto thatched roofs. The smoke is so thick; one cannot see a hand in front of their eyes.

The shaking has ceased a while back and so have the screams. The only sound to be heard is the roaring fire. It drowns out the noise of pitiful weeping and chocked sobs. No one can hear the silent pleas of those choking on the smoke before the hungry fire consumes their bodies, leaving no trace of them.

May's hands grip onto a pair of strong forearms, her eyes wide and her hair sticking to her face from the sweat oozing out her pores. She takes a few deep breaths before realizing that the vivid red in front of her is only Kurama's damp hair.

Forest green eyes take her in with concern. "May..." he breathes, his cool breath rushing over her warm face.

"I'm fine. Just a stupid dream." she assures him, dropping back onto her pillow, only to grimace when she finds it damp with her perspiration. She decides to ignore the crescent shape indentations she left in Kurama's skin; he doesn't seem bothered.

Kurama looks down at her from his spot on the edge of her bed, obviously not buying her attempt to wave it off.

"Have you had nightmares like those before? I don't recall you having them before." he questions, his eyes fixed on her in a promise that he will keep asking until she relents some information to him.

She sighs, knowing she has to give him something to satisfy his curiosity. "Sometimes.... When I'm alone." she answers, leaving the last part unspoken, though she can tell that Kurama can read it from her eyes.

It's true; She has dreamed of her death before. It occurs once in a while, ever since she found herself among the living again. It has not always affecting her like this though and the nightmare was absent altogether when Kurama slept beside her in the tent for those days. She supposes the stress is getting to her, awakening simmering fears from the depths of her mind.

"What was it about?" Kurama asks next, snapping her out of her thoughts. She forgot he was still gazing down at her for a moment, waiting for answers.

"Burning." she answers simply, knowing it is all he needs to put the pieces together.

He nods in understanding. "The shower is free." he tells her, picking at a lock of her hair that is stuck to her cheek. She nods silently before getting up and stumbling to the bathroom, Kurama's concerned eyes following her all the way there.

She feels better and more awake when she slips out of the bedroom after having freshened up and put on some clothes. She glances towards the ajar bedroom door of Yusuke and Kuwabara. It looks like they are already out.

"Shizuru came by. She wanted to know if you wanted to spend the day with the girls today." Kurama speaks up, putting down a hot cup of tea for her. "She will drop by again when she comes back up from picking up snacks and drinks."

May blinks surprised. She's never really been invited to a girl's day before. She's curious, although...

"What are you going to do today?" she questions, making him chuckle.

"Don't tell me your afraid to hang out with the girls May." he laughs, making her glare pathetically.

"No." she heaves. "It's just... I'm not sure how sore Keiko still is about me keeping all this a secret. I don't know her all that well. What is she holds a grudge?" May counters.

Kurama eyes her with amusement. "I'm sure it will be fine. But if you really object to spending time with girls who are reaching out an offer to be your friends, you can always come with me and presumably watch a bloody fight." he states with a shrug.