Part 7

"Go on Botan. Take it away." May urges the blue-haired woman from her position against the wall.

"Neh May-senpai. Are you sure? Do you want me to-.."Botan starts before May shakes her head tiredly.

"No. You're not telling Koenma. Who knows what he'll do." she interrupts.

"Mmh." Botan pouts in thought. "I'll check up on you later then?" she more states than questions. May nods, waving at her to go. With that, she takes the rescued spirit with her.

Now alone in the abandoned building; May slumps down in exhaustion, heaving a heavy sigh. She just faced and beat three ghouls. One almost had her, sucking her energy from her, trying to crush her soul. She really hates those things and she'll never be too proud to admit that she fears them.

"You didn't show up at yesterday." a voice startles her, making her snort awake as she nearly dozed off.

"What? Did you miss me already?" she asks jokingly as Kurama steps out of the shadows. How does he do that? "How did you even find me?" she wonders, eying the teen that she has become more than a little acquainted to over the past few weeks.

Yusuke has been gone for three weeks now. The only daily interaction she has is with Kurama. She occasionally hangs out with Botan and Atsuko is okay to talk to if she's at home that is. Her encounter with Hiei where he threatened to slice her open after finding out she was checking up on him on a regular basis doesn't count in her book.

Kurama shrugs casually. "I've gotten pretty familiar with you energy signature by now. I know when you're close by." he explains. May blinks at him with a blank look.

"So is this what you do in your spare time?" he questions, making it her turn to shrug.

"Basically." she answers with a shrug.

"It looks tiring... and dangerous." he states, stepping up to her and holding out a hand to help her to her feet. After a moment she takes it, nodding in thanks.

"What happens if one of them should get to you?" he asks curiously, watching as she pats the dust off of her clothes.

Straightening herself, she looks off into the distance. "The same thing that will happen when they catch a spirit. My soul will be broken apart and consumed. Afterwards, there will not be a trace of me left. It's painful, like being quartered." she explains with an emotional distance as if it's part of a case study, but the look in her eyes tell him she's had close call more than once.

He hesitates for a moment before asking his next question. "Back at the hospital, I could not see it like you said, except for a shadow that seemed to darken the area. What is it they look like?" he wonders, folding his arms as he gazes around the area, eying the dark corners as if something would be lurking there.

May glances at him, wondering about his curiosity for a moment before deciding it must be just his nature. "It's hard to explain to someone who cannot see them..." she starts.

"Someone that's alive you mean?" he asks, making her nod.

Yusuke can't see them anymore since his spirit returned to his body. He told her though, that at times he swore he could sense them. May decided for his sake to wave it off as paranoia even when he was right, else he would worry about it all the time.

It's not something he should busy himself with anymore. Especially not when he confided in having nightmares about them. They are not interested in him either anyway.

She supposes Kurama should have some solid nerves though. He's seen many things while Yusuke is still pretty new to all things otherworldly. Thinking on it for a moment, she makes a decision.