Part 36

Although Shishi initially seemed disappointed with the challenge, Genkai proved herself a formidable foe. However, when her mask is ripped from her face he calls a foul, believing her to be a different person than the fighter in previous fights. May understands where he's coming from, but also knows just how wrong he is.

"I knew it was a different person." Hiei scoffs, making May glance at him.

"No," she starts, surprising him and Kurama. "It's been Genkai all along." she reveals.

"Genkai?" Kurama asks surprised.

May can tell he recognizes the name. She is very well known for her power, so it's no wonder.

He turns his eyes to his girlfriend, "You knew it was her." he states instead of asking, knowing he's right.

May nods. "I've known her for a very long time. I told no one, because it wasn't up to me," she explains. "But now I understand her picking a fight with Yusuke earlier. She needed him to herself, to give to him her power, so he can have a chance at defeating Toguro." she muses, looking back towards the veteran fighter.

"Tell me, if that old woman is Genkai... how did she look appear so young earlier? No one is going to believe her to be the same person as before now." Hiei grumbles.

"This is rather problematic." Kurama muses as the crowd starts to demand their execution for cheating. Koto decides to pause the fight so the committee can figure out what to do. And seeing as said committee has always helped them so much in the past... note the sarcasm.

After a moment, Koto receives the verdict, "In regards to the Uraotogi's team's claim that the Urameshi team is using different contestants, the outcome of our deliberation is; 'No problem!' There will be no penalty and the match is to continue as-is!" she announces.

"That's.... unexpected." May deadpans.

However, Shishi and the crowd are outraged. It is then that help comes from an unexpected corner. Toguro has taken the microphone from Koto, "I will explain." Immediately everyone falls silent.

He supports that Genkai is the same person who fought before. "Practitioners of the Spirit wave, when they use their powers at their maximum, have their cells activated, and their bodies are returned to the age when they were at their peak. In other words, her appearance now is her true appearance." he explains calmly. "Will that do for you Genkai?" he smirks, looking down at the woman in the ring who has not said a word yet.

Murmurs echo throughout the stadium at the mention of her name. Having said what needed to be said, Toguro takes his leave without another word.

Shishi now looks to be over the moon. He is entertained by the idea of killing someone as renown as Genkai. He feels fame is within an arm's reach. However, despite having given Yusuke most of her power, Genkai is, by no means, ready to lie down and die to oblige the spoiled demon.

The fight continues without further interruption and Genkai shows everyone that she is no pushover. Despite all his cruel tactics, Shishi is just not powerful to beat her. When the match finishes, he is, although his pride is hurt, very much impressed with her.

Juri pronounces Genkai the winner, leaving only one final fighter on the opposing team, whose age must be close to Genkai's. He would have appeared human if it weren't for the pointed ears.

He's very excited as he rolls the dice to decide his opponent. It lands on Kuwabara. Juri asks him to try again, believing Kuwabara to be dead, but said boy's voice rings through the stadium, announcing his presence.