Part 8

Yusuke comes tumbling out of bed when his full schoolbag comes hurtling at him, hitting him in the head unceremoniously. "What the hell?!" he shouts, looking around for the culprit, only to see May looking around the corner of his doorway sneakily.

"You're going to be late for school." she points out, making him growl.

"You're seriously making me regret letting you live here, you moocher." he scoffs, making her roll her eyes.

"If you want me to go, just say so. Though that means you're going back to stale cereal for breakfast." she tells him, making him shudder.

He has to admit that her living with him and his mom has its perks. She knows how to cook a proper meal and makes sure things are clean around the house. But on the other hand, she's adamant that he goes to school.

When he argued with her about it, she told him he was lucky he even receives an education. It made him feel guilty, because although May is pretty smart, Yusuke has the feeling she never had the opportunity to use that wit of hers.

So, although reluctant about going back to school for the first time since he came back from his training, he gets up and readies himself. When he's finished, he struts out of his room to the smell of a full Japanese breakfast.

"What the heck am I gonna say to the teachers when they see me showing up after a month?" he wonders worriedly as he sits down at the small dining table across from her. They never used the thing for its purpose before May came.

Eying the used bowl on the kitchen counter, it looks like his mom was already gone, off to her new job. Yusuke would never have thought hat she would start doing something useful with her life. How things have changed.

"Nothing. Koenma took care of it. Just act like usual." May assures him, making him smirk. "No. You are not skipping class today." she scowls, making his smirk fall like a ton of bricks.

"Anyway, I was gonna hang out with Keiko and Kuwabara after. You wanna come?" Yusuke invites. She hasn't really had a chance to meet either of them properly. She only glimpsed Kuwabara from afar once and Keiko was unconscious when she first saw her.

"Sure." May answers, a little timid. She really is still somewhat unused to meeting new people. "I'll come and find you guys when I'm ready." she nods.

"You doing your rounds? How are Hiei and Kurama by the way?" he questions.

May shrugs in answer. "Okay I guess. Though with Hiei I can't really tell. He barely tolerates my presence. Finding him takes up most of my time and I talk to Kurama when he gets off school usually."

Yusuke nods with a quiet hum, before finishing shoveling the food down his throat. "Well, see ya later!" he calls, grabbing his backpack and jacket before hurrying out the door.

...........

May growls grumpily, having wandered around for three hours without a sign of Hiei. She knows he's close by, but he just really enjoys watching her having to work for it in finding him. Him making her waste her time like this just pisses her off.

Still steaming, it takes her a moment to realize there is a really annoying buzzing sound in her ears. "Oof!" she gasps out when someone karate chops her in the neck.

After falling over face first in the dirt, she turns to glare at the asshole who dared to attack her. "Hiei! What did I tell you about assaulting a Spirit world employee!" she scowls, rubbing her sore neck.

He glares back at her. "Hn. You should be thankful." he tells her bluntly.

She's about to ask him why the hell she should be when she watches him wipe a large insect of his hand. She pulls a face, grossed out.