Part 14

Yusuke has left. He left to return to Genkai's, where he has trained before, seeking for more power so he can compete against Toguro. May could see that Atsuko tried not to worry, outwardly looking unconcerned, but she knew better by now.

Keiko too was distressed after seeing Yusuke had not appeared to attend classes. She even approached May to ask her about it. She lives with the boy, so she should know. But May could only brush her off. She honestly didn't know what to tell the girl. This didn't improve their already strained relationship of course.

May herself was restless as well. She couldn't stand the wait, so when Kurama offered her to accompany him and Kuwabara for a bit, as they planned to train, she jumped at the opportunity to get out of the house.

One crisp morning, a week after the 'invitation', she found herself waiting for the two boys at the train station. They would camp out in the mountains for the week. They would have that much time before having to return home for a bit and making up another excuse to leave again so they can train in peace. May had it easy, she figured. She only had Atsuko to account to and that wasn't all that hard.

"Hello May-chan~!" May hears a familiar voice call out to her. She rolls her eyes, wondering why Kuwabara insists on calling her that. Yusuke told her to take it as a compliment.

She turns to face him and Kurama as they walk up to her, all packed.

"Are you all set May?" Kurama asks as they reach her.

She nods. "Yeah. Thanks for inviting me to come. Honestly, I don't know how long I'll be able to look at Atsuko and Keiko anymore before caving in. It's horrible to hide everything from them." she admits, frowning.

Kurama nods in understanding. If anyone knows what it's like, it would be him.

They get their tickets before stepping onto the train for their ride towards the mountains. It's a whole new experience for May. The last time she went on a train ride, a locomotive was still pulling it and the ride was loud and shaky.

After reaching their station, they set to trekking into the wilderness, leaving the civilized world behind them.

"This is a good place. Let's set up camp here." Kurama tells them after a few hours of walking. They are halfway up a mountain now and have reached a clearing among the trees that is covered in soft moss and surrounded by a mixture of pines and other trees.

May and Kuwabara release a sigh of relief. Both had some trouble during their walk, May's knees are green from the times she slipped on the moist grasses and moss. Kurama merely smiles at them in amusement.

"Need help setting up your tent?" Kuwabara offers May kindly as Kurama makes to set a fire.

"No need." May smiles, pulling her tent from the round sack holding it. As she whips it out, it unfolds itself automatically into a small one-person dome tent. "Ta-da~!"

She flashes Kuwabara a peace sign, grinning as he groans at the sight of own tent. It's an old-fashioned one with all the poles and lines in there. "Don't worry. I'll help you out." she tells him after putting down her tent in a spot to her liking.

"You set up tents before?" Kuwabara wonders.

"Not really." she admits with a shrug. "But some logic thinking will get us a long way I'm sure."

Soon, all their tents are set and they have a fire going strong. Kurama urges Kuwabara to follow him to another clearing he found while searching for wood, telling him that they should start training immediately. They can't afford to waste time after all.