Part 19

"I thought Kurama was supposed to be back by now." Kuwabara muses as he glances at the food left over for his teammate.

"Yeah, he should've been. Maybe he just forgot about the time?" May suggests as she gets to her feet. "I'll go look for him and drag him back here." she informs Kuwabara before setting off to find the redhead. She could hear Kuwabara mumble about getting some shut-eye behind her. He's been training hard all day.

With the use of the final light of the day casting onto the side of the mountain, May takes the path she has seen Kurama take several times. She can see his footsteps wherever the vegetation has thinned out and become sandy.

She has never actually seen where he trains when he's on his own and is curious to find out.

Finally she reaches a place where the trees make way for a meadow and although she cannot see it, she can hear creek run somewhere nearby. It would be rather peaceful, wasn't it for the distinct smell of blood in the air.

Frowning, May lets her eyes roam the clearing before they fall on a heap on a person at the edge. "Kurama!" she calls out, darting over there worriedly. She gasps when she spots the small sprouts protruding from his bare forearms. Little droplets of blood cling to them.

Crashing on her knees beside him, she rolls him onto his back, catching his head before it lulls over too far and crashes against her knee.

"Kurama!" she calls out again, watching a he moans softly, his brow furrowing slightly before his eyes drift open.

"May?" he questions, seeming to be a bit out of it before he blinks a few times to clear his head of the fogginess into his brain.

"What the hell have you been doing?!" May questions him, horrified.

He glances down to see the plant invading his body before remembering what he was doing before it got the best of him, knocking him unconscious. "A little experiment." he states, pushing himself upright through gritted teeth. It feels all but comfortable. May takes his wrist, helping him sit up.

"You idiot!" May scolds, knowing he has his wits about him now. "What is it with you and your self-destructive behavior? Can you not train like a normal person for once?" she asks him, making him look up at her with a hint of amusement.

"You should know by now that I'm willing to do anything to achieve my goal." he tells her, growing more serious.

May scoffs at that. "Sadly I do. But that doesn't mean I have to like it." she counters.

Kurama's gaze softens. "Are you worried for my well-being May?" he asks, making her eyes widen.

"Of course you doofus." she simply states, growling as he smiles satisfied at her answer. "If this is your way to seek attention, you're going about it the wrong way." she points out, scowling.

"I assure you, that is not my intention." he tells her, before looking down at his wrist where May was still holding onto him. His eyes widen slightly and the corners of his mouth quirk up even higher. Without her knowing, she has been pushing back the plant in his body with the use of her energy.

May also looks down to where he is looking, her eyes widening in surprise. "Your training has been paying off I see." Kurama comments, watching the plant disappear beneath his skin and feeling it retreat back to the seed he planted by a little gash above his collarbone.

When it is gone completely, he pulls back his wrist and removes the seed, putting it away. He then turns back to May, managing to get to his feet with a little help from her as he stumbles a little.

Leaning onto her shoulder with one hand he looks her in the eye, the reddish light of the setting sun giving them an orange glow.

"I apologize for worrying you May." he tells her earnestly. "However, I cannot tell you I will not continue to do so in the future." he continues.

May gazes back at him for a moment in silence. She knows he's right. He will always cause her worry as long as they remain in each other's company. It's in his nature to continue to do reckless things when he sees fit.

"I know." she sighs finally. "But that still doesn't mean I have to like it." she adds before helping him walk back to the campsite.

When they get there, they find that Kuwabara has already retreated to his tent. He is probably already fast asleep.

May helps Kurama inside theirs, sitting them on their knees before telling him to rest. It only seems to amuse him how she is fussing over him.

She slaps his hands away as he struggle to unbutton his changshan. His arms, hands, and the very tips of his fingers feel sore. They both try to suppress their blush as she does the work for him before sliding it over his shoulders.

Kurama looses his balance when she does, collapsing into May before he can stop himself. He must've really tired himself out.

"Sorry." he mumbles, taking hold of her upper arms so he can move himself away. Her scent of lilacs is strong and soothing as it hit his senses and he can't help but linger by the side of her face.

"You are very sweet." he tells her in a soft voice, before shocking May as he turns his head to leave a small peck on her cheek, just by the corner of her mouth. She can feel her heart hammer in her chest in response.

"J-just go to sleep." she finally manages to stammer out, making him smile cheekily.

"Yes ma'am." he salutes sleepily before letting himself fall on his back, rolling over to lie down on his own side. He is out like a light, a small smile still playing at the corner of his lips.

May stares at him for a moment, her face still flushed. She is silently cursing him for his cunning ability to make her uncomfortable... but still managing to like it somehow. Kurama may be a sadist, but she might just be a masochist. What is he doing to her?

Desperate to shake off her shivers, she curls up tight in her own sleeping bag.

......

"May?"

She looks next to her to see spring leaf eyes fixed on her. "You really are sweet, you know that?" he mutters.

May is speechless. How is she even supposed to react to that? And why does he keep saying that?!

She stiffens as his hand reaches out, coming down gently to cradle her cheek.

"W-wha...?" she stammers, only to be hushed by him as he trails his fingers down past her lips. She follows his fingers with her eyes, not daring to move as they trail down her neck and down her arm, coming to a stop on her waist.

She blinks in surprise when she looks back up again, finding Kurama really up in her bubble of personal space. Her eyes must be wide like saucers.

He chuckles softly. "Don't look so scared. I don't bite." he whispers against her lips before smirking. "Unless you want me to. Do you May?" he questions.

"May~. Hey May!" he suddenly calls out, confusing her for a moment.

......

She suddenly bursts upright, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. She can feel her heart pounding and she feels out of breath.

"There you are. I was wondering what it would take to get you up." a voice behind her speaks up. She looks over her shoulder to see Kurama bending over by the entrance of the tent, all dressed and ready to go. There is no sigh of his previous injuries.

"Come on. Breakfast is ready." he urges before letting his voice drop to a whisper. "I'm sorry if I interrupted any pleasant dreams." he tells her with a cheeky smile before getting up and walking steadily over towards the fire, completely ignoring May glaring holes in the back of his head.

Now he's not only messing with her when she's awake, but also in her dreams! That's it! She needs to get her own tent again.