Part 5

The full moon came along quickly. May stayed away when Yusuke and Botan arrived to confront Kurama, leaving them to it on the roof.

She'd rather stay away from the hospital all together to avoid this mess. But as Kurama's mother deteriorates, she couldn't discard her duties, so she waits in the corner of the hospital room instead.

To Kurama's credit, he never mentioned May's involvement in this whole business when they were all present in the room earlier. He actually acted like this was the first time he saw her.

May knows that despite him covering for her, she would have to fess up eventually. She isn't one to run away from her responsibilities. She was going to, but when Kurama dragged the two criminals; Gouki and Hiei into this, her involvement became too great.

May sighs. Waiting for the moment of someone's death has never taken so long. She would've relieved the woman of her pain already if she wasn't uncertain of the outcome of the confrontation happening above her head.

That is another difference between her and Botan. She gets to somewhat decide when someone passes. She actually makes them pass. While Botan only has to be there at the right time and ferry away the soul once it's done. Another perk of being a senior reaper. May rolls her eyes. Some perk.

She looks up when Kurama's mother stabilizes all of a sudden, surprising the doctors working on her. Some even call it a miracle making May smile warily. There's no miracle happening here, just the determination of a demon son who cares very much for his human mother.

It's a bit sad though, now that the moment has come. Now, his mother will be left to grieve her son. Is that even fair? She will never know of the sacrifice her son made for her. She will wake up, to find him gone. Just like that. Yes. It is very sad indeed. May didn't expect to feel so dissatisfied afterwards.

With another sigh, she turns to go. She ought to see if Botan took away Kurama's spirit yet or not. "Holy...!" she exclaims, when a red blur passes her all of a sudden.

She looks over to see Kurama hovering over his mother with a smile. She is looking up at him with equal happiness, having just woken up and feeling better than she has in a long time.

May gapes at the scene, completely confused. How did this happen? How are they both alive and well? Did..? Oh no he didn't. He did, didn't he?

She briskly leaves the room, rushing to the rooftop to find Botan and Yusuke talking animatedly. The mirror lies discarded on the ground. "Botan?" she calls, blinking confused.

"Hi May-senpai! Things worked out pretty well here. It seems everyone got their wish granted today." she beams. May blinks, still a bit confused before managing a small genuine smile, making Botan perk up even more. She hardly sees a smile on her co-workers face anymore.

"It seems so." May hums.

.........

Hiei. It was just him left now. When he is under lock and key and the artifact, the Shadow sword is back in the vault where it belongs, most of the mess will be cleared. May will go to Koenma straight after and admit to him her stupidity.

He will not be pleased to know that she of all people had triggered the break in and effectively the aftermath that followed, but first things first.

"Talk I tell you. My patience has its limitations and I suggest not seeking it out." she warns, squeezing the tiny demon in her hands. It's grey and has a tail. May found it spying on her after she spoke to Yusuke about Hiei earlier.

The demon squeaks as she applies pressure on its tiny body. "Crushing you would be so easy. And I don't feel like ferrying you away afterwards. I'm considering feeding you to a ghoul. Surely they will consider your spirit a nice snack." she threatens as it keeps it's jaws shut tight.