Part 37

"What's bothering you?" May asks Kurama from her perch after having watched him brooding for a while now. He's been acting strange since he went and watched Toguro's team fight in the semi-finals. It was soon after their own fight. He's so consumed in thought that it's beginning to make May worry, "Did something happen?"

Kurama blinks, clearing his forest green eyes to spare his love a glance. "Nothing much, please don't worry May. I'm just thinking on a strategy." he excuses, making her perk a brow, unimpressed.

"What do you take me for?" she mutters, not believing a word he says. He should know better than to give her petty lies. She sighs, looking up at the sky when she receives no further answer. The only thing cutting through the silence is the wind.

Now that she thinks about it, Kurama isn't the only one that's been acting strangely. Genkai too has not been acting like herself. Maybe it's the finals coming up that's stressing them out?

A touch pulls her from her thoughts and she looks down to finds her hands in Kurama's. She pulls her eyes up to look into his questioningly. He doesn't say anything, just tilts his head to rest it against hers, closing his eyes.

She lets him for a moment before reaching up, cupping his cheek as she pulls away. "You're worrying me fox." she gently scolds.

He smiles half-heartedly, meeting her gaze. "My apologies. There is a lot on my mind right now." he admits, making her roll her eyes jokingly.

"No kidding." She takes a deep breath, "I think I know a bit of what it is that is going through your head, but-...."

She's cut off by a massive amount of energy over her, engulfing her in it's power.

Kurama looks around wearily. "I've never felt a demon energy like this before! What's going on?"

May squeezes his hands tightly, feeling dizzy from the amount of energy. She has a bad feeling about this. Just as sudden as it hits, the clearing grows eerily quiet. A heavy feeling hangs in the air and May finds herself shaking a little.

"Genkai..." she whispers.

"Her energy disappeared." Kurama says in realization.

"She's gone." May states, feeling a hole settle in her heart. She's oh so familiar with death, but after knowing someone for so long... it hurts either way.

"May..." Kurama breathes sadly, seeing the tears glisten in her eyes. He's never actually seen her cry now that he thinks about it. He wastes no time in pulling her close to him. She buries her face in his shoulder with a tiny whimper.

..........

Once May calmed down, she and Kurama sat together in silence, Kurama once again lost in thought. He hasn't told May about his encounter with Karasu, he doesn't want her to worry even more than she already has. But this meeting disturbed him more than any before.

Karasu is better than him at everything as far as he has seen en sensed. The possibility of getting killed during a fight with him is very likely. He doesn't know how to defeat Karasu the way he is now. If only.... But how?

This isn't looking good for him, that's for sure. And if he can't win, what will happen then? What will happen to May if he perishes? He glances towards her sullen face with a frown etched on his face.

A voice calling his name cuts through his thoughts and they both look up to find Kuwabara running their way.

"Finally I've found someone!" he shouts in relief before coming to a stop before them as Kurama gets to his feet.

"Have you guys seen that Urameshi punk around?" he wonders.

"No." Kurama states softly.

Kuwabara crosses his arms with a frown. "Where the hell could he have gone? The moment he woke up, he took off some place looking pale." he explains, making May look up curiously. Yusuke must've sensed it too, Toguro and Genkai...

"And Ba-san said she had some important business to take care of by herself, and she hasn't come back either! Of all the...!" Kuwabara continues rating. May look up at him sadly. He doesn't know, does he?

Before she can open her mouth, a noise reaches Kurama's ears, making him whip around. "Who's there?!" he demands.

From the woods, a blonde young demon appears at Kurama's call. He's covered in bandages.

"Who are you?" Kuwabara questions, not recognizing him.

"The beautiful demon battler Suzuki!" the man announces in irritation.

"Suzuki?" Kuwabara muses, searching his memories before it dawns on him, "You're the one who was beaten so horribly by Genkai-, the one who was also Onji, that Suzuki?!" he exclaims in surprise.

Suzuki's eye twitches at the memory and of not being called beautiful alongside his name. He goes on a little rant, with Kurama staring at him intently. "What?" Suzuki questions finally.

"Oh, it's nothing." Kurama answers cooly. "I would ask what business you have with us." he continues, wishing to get to the point.

Suzuki suddenly seems to remember what he came to do in the first place, "I've come to give you something." he states, holding up two items. One is the handle of a katana and the other a flask with a red liquid in it, and something floating inside of it. May gets to her feet, gazing at them curiously.

"The Fruit of Former Lives and the Sword of Trials." he announces, handing the flask to Kurama and the 'sword' to Kuwabara. "These are the items that I gave to Uraurashima and Shishiwakamaru." he reveals, making Kurama calculate within seconds what the flask holds for him. May can see the radars in his head spinning.

"The Fruit of Former Life is the fleshy part of the Tokitadare blossom, recently discovered in the Demon Realm. Uraurashima used it in a mist form. However, if you drink it in a liquid, you should be able to return to your Yoko form for a long time." Suzuki explains to Kurama before turning to Kuwabara.

"The Sword of Trials is made from a Leechcedar, and draws out the energy of whoever holds it in order to grow." he then explains that both items are still in their experimental stage and that he doesn't know if there are any terrible side effects. That is not very reassuring.

"Suzuki, why give up your items to our team?" May questions, finding it odd that he does. Is there some catch?

He pauses as he was starting to leave, "I once fought against Toguro myself." he reveals, making her eyes widen. "Just from seeing him at thirty percent I was overcome by terror. I would have licked the bottoms of his boots to save my life. That's how bad I fell apart, begging for my life. When I did, he was moved to compassion and said; 'When someone goes beyond disgracing themselves like this; I lose even my will to kill them. I see you as nothing more than scum'."

May tilts her head. "I'm not sure those are words of compassion..." she breathes. However, Suzuki continues undisturbed.

"Afterwards, I improved my skills, changed my appearance and name and led the Uraotogi team to the tournament. But then, you guys worked us completely over... I'm not asking you to take revenge for me. I just want to believe that there's someone stronger than Toguro. I want to believe that someone will come along and destroy Toguro's sense of value." he explains passionately before leaving the three of them.

A silence fills the air as they each contemplate on what just occurred and the possible repercussions, that is until a shrill ringing cuts through the air.

May quickly whips out her communicator. "What is it?" she asks Koenma rather impatiently. He doesn't look effected by her tone however.

"May, I need you here." he tells her, his eyes telling her not to argue. There is something important he needs her for.

Her face slackens before she nods. "I'll be right with you."

Putting away the communicator she turns to the two boys. "Kuwabara, Kurama...." she starts, giving them both a pointed look, but Kurama more so. "Be careful with those items." she warns.

They both nod obediently, but May still feels reluctant to leave them to themselves. With a sigh, she turns, leaving them, hoping they don't get themselves killed with those items.