Bailee's Choice - An Army Of Old People

The Doctor's POV-

"Where have the children gone?" I ask, as we stand in the grounds of the ruined castle. Rory shrugs his shoulders.

"Don't know. Play time's probably over." I take out my sonic screwdriver and scan the piles of dust littering the floor, and all the objects next to them.

"You see, this is the real one. I just feel it. Don't you feel it?" Rory says to Amy.

"I feel it both places." She replies.

"I feel it here. It's just so tranquil and relaxed. Nothing bad could ever happen here." I look at my sonic screwdriver. Suddenly Upper Leadworth is not so tranquil and relaxed.

"Not really me, though, is it? I mean, would I be happy settling down in a place with a pub, two shops and a really bad Amateur Dramatics Society? That's why I got pregnant, so I don't have to see them doing Oklahoma." Amy informs Rory, as Bailee turns to me.

"Doctor, what are you doing? And what are those piles of dust?" I look at her gravely.

"Play time's definitely over." I inform them. Their faces instantly become horror stricken, perfect mirrors of each other.

"Oh, my gosh."

"What happened to them?" Bailee asks. I turn to look at the old people walking along the street.

"I think they did."

We walk back towards the playground, as Rory can't get his head around it. "They're just old people." He argues.

"No, they're very old people." I explain. "Sorry, Rory, I don't think you're what's been keeping them alive."

"Hello, peasants." I sigh. The Dream Lord is back. "What's this, attack of the old people? Oh, that's ridiculous. This has got to be the dream, hasn't it? What do you think, Bailee? Let's all jump under a bus and wake up in the Tardis. You first."

"Leave her alone." I order him.

"Do that again." He turns to the little girl next to him with those familiar eyes. "I love it when he does that. Tall dark hero. Leave her alone." He imitates me, then turns back to Bailee. "But listen. You're in there. Loves a redhead, the Doctor. Has he told you about Elizabeth the First? Well, she thought she was the first." He smirks to himself.

"Drop it. Drop all of it. I know who you are." I say, just to make him shut up. He doesn't believe me.

"Course you don't."

"Course I do." I argue, smiling mysteriously. "No idea how you can be here, but there's only one person in the universe who hates me as much as you do."

"Never mind me. Maybe you should worry about them." He points at the old people advancing towards us, and disappears with the little girl without another word.

"Hi. Hello." Rory walks up towards the old people, seeing as he knows them. Or thinks he does at least.

"Hello, we were wondering where you went. To get reinforcements, by the look of it. Are you all right? You look a bit tense." I observe cheerfully, as one man steps out towards us.

"Hello, Mister Nainby." Rory smiles happily.

"Rory." Bailee warns, sensing something is up.

"Mister Nainby ran the sweet shop. He used to slip me the odd free toffee." Rory turns round to reassure her. But as he does so, Mister Nainby grabs Rory by the collar, making him yelp in surprise, as he is lifted off his feet. "Did I not say thank you?" Rory gets thrown into the mud by the swings, and stands up in shock. "How did he do that?"

"I suspect he's not himself. Don't get comfortable here. You may have to run, fast." I warn everyone, hearing a huff from Amy.

"Can't we just talk to them?" She pleads, holding her stomach. Not my fault she went and got herself pregnant in a time of danger.
The old people open their mouths, and an eye looks out. Amy and Rory take an involuntary step back. After all, they knew them as 'humans'. Bailee however, keeps her ground.
"There is an eye in her mouth." Amy gasps.

"There's a whole creature inside her. Inside all of them. They've been there for years, living and waiting." I explain.

"That is disgusting. They're not going to be peeping out of anywhere else, are they?" Rory asks nervously, and I smirk as I hear someone thump him one. But then Mrs Poggit breaths a stream of green gas at us, and I turn back to look at Amy, Rory and Bailee.

"Run." I command, then turn back to the old people. "Okay, leave them, leave them. Talk to me. Talk to me. You are Eknodines. A proud, ancient race. you're better than this.Why are you hiding away here? Why aren't you at home?" I ask.

"We were driven from our planet by"

"Planet by upstart neighbours." I say.

"So we've"

"Been living here inside the bodies of old humans for years. No wonder they live so long. You're keeping them alive." I finish.

"We were humbled and destroyed. Now we will do the same to others." Mrs Poggit says savagely.

"Okay. Makes sense, I suppose. Credible enough. Could be real." I think, just as a paper boy cycles past.

"Morning." He greets everyone politely, but Mrs Poggit breathes on him, and turns him to dust.

"You need to leave this planet." I demand, before turning round and running. Or at least that's the plan, because I walk straight into Bailee, who was standing behind me the whole time. "I thought I told you to run?" I ask in annoyance, making her look guilty. I just take her hand and sprint away, looking for somewhere safe.

We crash into a butchers shop, fighting the bird song's effect. The Dream Lord and his friend are behind the counter. "Oh, I love a good butcher's, don't you? We've got to use these places or they'll shut down. Oh, but you're probably a vegetarian, aren't you, you big flop-haired wuss."

"Oh, pipe down. I'm busy." I pant, the effort of keeping awake is overwhelming.

"Maybe you need a little sleep." The Dream Lord says, as Bailee slides down the wall, sitting on the floor.

"Oh, wait a moment. If you fall asleep here, several dozen angry pensioners will destroy you with their horrible eye things." He reminds us. I help Bailee up, and she sticks her fingers in her ear in an attempt to block out the constant tweeting in her brain. The Dream Lord just mocks her.

"Fingers in the ear. Brilliant. What's next, shouting boo? Come in, come in." He invites the old people into the shop.

"Yes, we've got lots at steak here this week. Lots at steak, get it? Are these jokes wasted on you?" He jests.

"Wait, wait, stop." I demand as Bailee stumbles behind me and yanks open a store room door.

"Oh. Oh, I can't watch." The Dream Lord says, as I lock the store room, and fall to the floor.