Prologue

The sun was blazing in an overwhelming way as the parking lot of Wellbarrow High slowly emptied until there was no one left. The only ones left in the school were the cheerleaders standing in the middle of the football field.

"Trinity!" Skylar called out, "Go and spot Kayla for me please?"

Trinity, who's mind had been elsewhere, quickly looked in Skylar's direction. She pulled out of her momentarily confused state and nodded at her captain before jogging over to Kayla. The rest of the girls were practicing the flips they had come up with for their next competition. She got into her position and waited for everyone to get on the same page.

When it came to their past competitions, they would go with safe moves to ensure that everybody would be alright. The team as a whole were strong believers in being better safe, rather than sorry. After losing for the third year in a row, though, the girls agreed to do something more. They were going for daring and adventurous this year.

The routines they had planned so far were complicated and had the potential to be dangerous if they didn't execute them correctly. Trinity tried to focus on keeping her eyes on Kayla as the music started. She found it slightly difficult, as lately she had been experiencing strong, head splitting migraines. She hoped that her game would be on point seeing as her head was only slightly throbbing.

The routine started, and the whole squad went through the steps better than they usually did. They had been practicing for months, and it was nearly perfection. Trinity soon got lost in the beat of the music. The at peace feeling that accompanied her dancing or cheering soon began to take over her body and senses.

Everything was going smoothly up until the flips. Kayla was an extremely small girl, and was one of the teams best flyers. Two girls, Lacey and Rose, helped each other lift the smaller girl into the air and she flipped easily, but Trinity could immediately see that the throw was off. On her way down, Kayla was coming in slightly off and was caught at an awkward angle.

As she started to slip from her team mates grips, Trinity rushed forward hurriedly, arms out ready to catch her. She had a pretty damn good chance of catching her too, if only her vision hadn't gone black.

Life is full of maybes. Maybe if she had eaten breakfast this morning, Trinity's stomach wouldn't have growled embarrassingly loud in home room. Maybe if the team stepped up their tricks, they'd finally win a competition before their senior year was over. And maybe, if her vision hadn't gone dark in that split second, Trinity could have lived her life from that point forward as if nothing was wrong.

But, unfortunately, her vision did cut off. One moment she was watching Kayla intently, waiting to catch her, and in the next she was blind.

Trinity found the blindness extremely disorienting. She immediately took a couple steps and blinked in surprise, willing her sight to come back. Her attempts were made in vain. She heard a grunt and thud from who she assumed was Kayla as she fell to the ground and took one last step back to avoid being hit. That last step caused her foot to get caught on a football left over from the guys practice.

When she landed on her behind, the back of her head snapped up painfully as it caught the edge of the track that surrounded the field. Trinity heard the distinct, sickening crack of her skull against pavement before all of her senses disappeared.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Edited this a bit. It's slightly different from the original chapter, but not really by much.

Enjoy!

~Alyssa xx