Twenty One 👀

ALEC

It is strange, yet comforting to be waking up beside someone in my bed after so long.

I thought I would feel something, betrayal maybe, but no ... none what so ever.

My eyes take in the soft angelic features of Beth as she sleep, lips parted and breathing deeply against my chest.

She is so different, yet similar to her...  Astrid. My wife.... well, in another life she was.

I remember the last time I saw her, before I got on our warship, ready to fight for Olaf Haraldsson ... if I was smart, I never should have left her.

She was so round with our child, and she cursed me for not staying by her side.

But he desired his throne, and as the good soldier I was, I went on that damned viking ship, and almost died in that battle... if not for the vampire that changed me, Victor.

I never seen her again, but heard she died in child birth.

I feel a touch on my shoulder, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Alec?" Her soft angelic voice speaks as she looks up at me. "Whats wrong?"

"Nothing," I put on a smirk as I run my fingers against the mark I gave her last night. Just a little below her ear. The only way she can hide it is if her hair is down or heavy make up. Oh, I made sure it was deep, and she mewled and moaned in pleasure.

"You sure? You looked sort of sad..."

"I was just remembering ... something."

"Someone?"

Shit... she is too damn perceptive sometimes. Maybe its the mark, but regardless ... How do I even say any of this... she'll probably freak out.

"You are the first woman in a long time I've let sleep in my bed, beside me."

"Seriously?" Her eyes grow so wide.

"Seriously... since ... since I was human."

She sits up, pulling the covers around her breasts as she looks at me. I don't know why she hides, not like I haven't seen her body. "You never talk about that. Do you ... want to?"

"Not really, but I know you are curious," I sigh, looking up at the ceiling of my room, the boards with the thick beams to support the layers of dirt and ground above us. My eyes take in each line the wood holds, like years of its life ... ugh, I'm becoming a fucking poet. "I had a wife..." I glance at her and see tears in her eyes.

"Do you ... miss her?"

"Maybe... but its more what she represents that I miss. If I had just done one thing different, one choice, I wouldn't be here. I'd be long gone. Just dust." I sigh, then shake my head. "You don't want to hear about that though," I pull at the sheet covering her and quickly roll her to her back, pinning her to the bed under me.

This is how I want her, not all misty eyed with emotions.

My lips go to the side of her neck, but she quickly stops me.

"I do. You don't have to close me out. I want to know everything about you."

"Not everything... trust me. I've been alive a long time, and done many things ... not many good."

"You aren't so bad now..." her delicate fingers caress my cheek, and I sigh. Oh, you only know the new me ... this is but a drop of sand compaired to the years I've lived. "You can tell me about her."

"She was beautiful," I shrug. "We married young, and she ... was pregnant when I left for war. I never returned, and she died. Thats it."

Her face looks at me with such grief. Shit, I hate that look in her eyes.

"But ... things are different now. I'm a vampire, and ... this may make me sound like a pussy, but ... I have you. .... maybe living all these years has a purpose now."

A smile starts to pull at her lips as she gazes those lavender gold trimmed eyes up at me.

"Don't get used to that... that cheesy romance novel crap. You even mention any of this to anyone I'm bending you over my knee and spanking you till you're purple."

"Promise?" She grins oh so mischievously.

I can't help but chuckle and roll her to her stomach, bringing my palm down on her ass and squeezing a nice hand full of her flesh.

She moans in pleasure from the sting. Damn, I love that she likes this, and I don't have to be gentle with her. She can take a bit of rough play.

My lips drop down to the mark I made as I plant a gentle kiss, feeling my whole body and hers shutter in delight.

A knock on the door makes me growl, and her start to giggle.

Who ever it is cock blocking me will pay.

"Sis? A word?"

"Can it wait?"

"No. Zyn is passed out, has been for a few hours now."

She zips out from under me, faster than I've seen her move before. .... of course she would, she cares about him ... loves him.

Fuck... I think I actually love her too. Not just the beloved marking love either. I mean, yeah maybe it started this, but ... I would do anything for her. Anything.

I sigh, looking down at my erection. Damn thing will have to wait.

I climb out of bed, put on my robe and grab hers. She left so fast, she probably doesn't even realize she's still naked.

I know why he is passed out, and I should feel bad about it, but it didn't feel good for me either. I managed alone well enough to get through the night he had with her.

I step out the door and Damien just smirks.

"You couldn't have waited to tell her? I know you were eavesdropping."

"Well, I could have waited till you were balls deep. But, I figured that would be worse," he just grins.

And Beth thinks I'm the smug one.

I start down the hall to find Beth.

When I spot her, she is nuzzling her cheek against Zyn's as his eyes start to flutter open. They both are on his bed. His arms snaking around her all ready.

I just walk over and drape her robe over her shoulders.

"Thank you, Alec," she says as she looks up at me.

I turn to leave but stop when I feel her take my hand.

I should keep going, and leave them alone -

"Stay," her voice pleads in a soft whisper.

I can't say no, not to her ...

- - - - - - - - -

A/N: Short chapter, but gives a glympse into Alec's past.
He was a Viking. So, that can give a clue as to how old he is. 😉
And ... he has a heart too ... just a lot of years of dark broody moody vamp-ness covers it.

Not edited