Training

I walked in bright and early. I was barely awake, but even I know I am late. It read 8:11am on the clock and I know Matt would be all over me for being late. For those of you with dirty minds....I didn't mean it that way. I walk in with my iced coffee from Starbucks and see Matt. He narrows his eyes at me when I walk in.

"I said 8am." He says, frowning at me.

"It's 11 minutes after, I'm sorry I need caffeine." I reply and Matt gets up. He walks over to me and looks me dead in the eye. Then he thrusts a shirt, and a small apron at me. I frown and take them.

"The bathroom is over there." He points to the door at the other side of the room. When I don't move immediately he smirks and continues. "Unless you planned on stripping in front of me." He said, arrogance in his tone. I roll my eyes, ignoring his comment and go into the bathroom. I switch out of my shirt and into the red one I was holding that read 'Pizza Star' on the front in a bright gold star. There was also a name tag that read Olive on it. I pinned it on and then put an apron over my black shorts. I walk out with my shirt and drop it on a chair before turning to Matt expectantly.

"So what am I doing first?" I ask.

"You need to take my order, then get my food." He gestures to where Al is. I hadn't even seen him before. He is hidden behind the walls that don't show the kitchen. I give a small wave to Al and turn back to Matt.

"Sounds easy enough." I say. Matt hands me a note pad and pen and gestures for me to begin. I walk over to him and smile politely. "Hello. I'm Olive, what can I get you today?" I ask and Matt looks down at his menu.

"Hm. I don't know yet, do you have any suggestions?" He asks me, smirking. I guess he figures I can't be a good waitress. Well he better prepare himself.

"Yeah. If your up for the classic flavor, I'd say get the plain pizza. If your in the mood for something different you should look at our specials on the menu." I say pointing to a part on the menu. Matt nods.

"What would you get?" He asks me. Oh yeah, he's testing me. I could just tell from the smugness in his voice.

"I would go with peperoni. It isn't too spicy, but it has a little different flavor, so you aren't too far out of your comfort zone." I say with a shrug and Matt raises his eyebrows.

"I guess I'll have that." He says and I smile.

"Would you like anything to drink with that sir?" I ask and Matt rolls his eyes at the sir part.

"Water is fine, thanks." He says only semi politely, taking a sip of his water.

"Alright I'll go put your order in." I say and tell Al what he wants. Once Al is done, I bring the pizza over to Matt."Your pizza." I say and he nods in a thanks. I walk away and stand next to Al, talking. I notice Matt looking around a lot so I walk over to his table. "Would you like your receipt?" I ask and Matt nods.

"Yes." He says and I quickly go and ring him up. I grab the receipt and give it to him with a pen. He signs it and leaves money on the table. I come over and check it.

"So how'd I do?" I ask and Matt frowns.

"Fine. Have you worked anywhere else that you also were a waitress?" He asks me and I grin and nod.

"Yeah a bunch. I worked at my dad's ice cream shop, and then also at my cousin's restaurant one summer." I say and shrug. He nods approvingly.

"Keep the uniform." He says as he walks back behind the register. "Come for your shift today at two. Afterward I need you to actually fill out the form for the job so I can access you for when I need you for work." He says, not looking at me. I nod then realize he isn't looking at me.