Her Wish

Matt's POV

I was scared. No. I was petrified. Who is this girl in front of me? Why is she so...broken? How did this happen? No. How did I let this happen? Olive lay strapped to her hospital bed. She wakes up for a few hours each day to eat and talk to specialists. At first the doctors tried to make me leave the room but I shook my head, telling them I'd never leave their side. It has been nearly two and a half months since we both were checked into this hospital. My dad hadn't shot me too bad. It mostly grazed my skin, but it still bled. They let me "leave" a month into it. Then three weeks later, Olive woke up and she ran away. I still remember what she told me in the woods vividly.

"You aren't Matt. This is just a dream, and it'll end the same way each time. I'll just lose you again." Her words faintly whispered over and over again in my head. Thinking that my dad caused my Olive to be traumatized is unbelievable. If he wasn't already locked up in jail with two charges of murder, and three attempts of murder, plus owning an illegal gun and using it. Well by the time he's let out, he'd already be dead. Good. I hope he rots in jail for this. Just the thought that he touched Olive at all made my blood boil. The specialist walked in, giving me a nod as he took a seat just as Olive's eyes fluttered open. He handed her something to eat and she frowned, looking at him then over at me.

"This is a weird dream." She muttered to herself, but we both heard it and the specialist, who I soon learned was called Dr.James, scribbled something on his notepad.

"So Olive, how are you doing today?" Dr.James asked and she looked up at him, squinting at him as though she we're trying to find something that was off in the distance.

"Why do you care?" She asked, crossing her arms.

"I want to help you. If you want, we can go to the next question?" He asked and she ignored him, and began nibbling on her sandwich Dr.James had handed her. "So we're going to take a different approach today, okay?" He asked and she continued ignoring him, and he sighed. "Okay so Olive, is there anyone that you'd like to speak to?" He asked and she suddenly looked up. She looked as though she was thinking and we both watched her intently.

"I want to speak to Donovan Star." She said so simply that it caught us both off guard. She then picked up her sandwich and continued eating as though her words were normal in her situation.

"Absolutely not!" I said and both Dr.James's and Olive's neck swiveled to look at me.

"Why not?" Olive demanded, and for the first time she seemed normal.

"Because he hurt you. I don't want you anywhere near him." I said through gritted teeth.

"Well if you don't bring me to see him then I won't answer anymore questions, actually I'll stop talking all together." She said stubbornly and my eyebrows shot up. She wouldn't. She couldn't. Would she? Damn it. I grabbed Dr.James and pulled him out of the room.

"You can't do this." I say, urgently.

"Matt I wouldn't let her do it anyway. Especially not if you didn't want her to. With her Aunt in California now, and her friend at school...you're the only one here for her." He finished and I nodded my head.

"Thanks." I say and we head back in to continue the questions but Olive won't answer anything. When Dr.James leaves I turn to her, searching her face for something that would remind of her, but nothing's there. "Olive?" I ask and she shakes her head, looking straight ahead. "Olive, come on, please talk to me." I say and she shakes her head again. I felt frustration building up in me. "Olive god damn it!" I yelled, banging my fist on her side table. She looked at me in surprise, opening her mouth to say something but looked away, looking as though she reconsidered. "Olive why the hell are you doing this? Don't you love me?" I asked slowly and her eyes widened as they snapped to mine.