6- James Gets Angry

"What on earth are you thinking?" James had confronted Halley as she climbed onto the train.

"About what?" Halley frowned.

"Adam Wood."

"Oh," Halley frowned, "how did you find out about that?"

"Alfie saw you snogging him!"

"I wasn't snogging him," Halley said immediately, "okay, maybe I was," she crumbled under James's withering glare, "but why shouldn't I snog him, he's my boyfriend."

"He's your what?"

"Boyfriend," Halley put her hands on her hips.

"You-you didn't tell me that you have a boyfriend."

"I didn't think it was your business."

"Of course it's my business, I'm your best friend!"

"Well, a best friend would be happy for me, not yelling at me."

"But it's Adam Wood!" James eyes bore into Halley's, "he's-"

"He's what?" Demanded Halley.

"He's a twat!"

"You say it like you aren't one James Potter! You're worse than Adam is, I'm surprised you can get into the castle with how big your head is!"

The two glared at each other for a while before Adam joined them.

"Halley, shall we go and find a compartment?" Adam rubbed the back of his neck, sensing the tense atmosphere.

"Yes, let's go find one at the other end of the train," Halley turned on her heel and stormed away. Adam shot a glance at James and then hurried off after his girlfriend.

********

"He's infuriating!" Halley complained, "he thinks that he can have a say in who I date!"

"Well, I did say you should tell him," Adam shrugged.

"Who's side are you on?" She demanded.

"I'm on yours of course."

"Good," Halley smiled, "we'll I'm glad that I didn't miss the train this year, sitting here is much better than all of those disapproving looks that mum gives me."

"You missed the train last year?"

********

Halley shoved her things into her bag after her first Transfiguration of the lesson.

"Halley," Venus called across the room of students packing up their belongings.

"Yeah, what is it mum-I mean Professor Black-Weasley?" Halley made her way to the front as the rest of her peers left the room.

Venus laughed and shook her head, "so, what exactly is going on with you and Adam Wood?"

"How do you know about that?" Halley demanded, almost immediately.

"Oh, come on Hal, you weren't exactly being subtle, Alfie saw you at the train station."

"Well, if you really want to know, he's my boyfriend," Halley crossed her arms.

"Well, unless you want to give your father a heart attack, I would keep the public displays of affection to a minimum," Venus suggested, "and James doesn't look that thrilled about it for that matter."

"What's James got to do with anything?" Halley glowered. She and James had hardly spoken since their argument on the train. Halley was determined that she would not speak to him until he apologised to her, and it didn't seem like either of them wanted to make the first move."

"Have you and James had a fight or something?"

"He yelled at me on the train," Halley huffed, "seemed to think he has some control over who I kiss."

"Halley, he's been your best friend forever, he's probably just jealous that you're spending time with someone else. Give him some time, he'll come around," Venus assured her.

"Well, I'd better get to Defence Against the Dark Arts."