44- Alfie And Hope Walk In

"So? C'mon Hal I'm dying here!" James declared upon Halley's arrival back at the flat after her trial.

"I was cleared and given my licence back," Halley grinned.

James' anxious expression broke into one of sheer delight, he picked Halley up and spun her around, not missing his chance to kiss her.

"Whoa," a voice caused the two to break apart, and look towards the door, which now stood open, showing Alfie and Hope stood there.

Hope's face held an expression of glee, the words 'I told you so' were written all across her face. Alfie, on the other hand, looked quite shocked.

"So, are you two like dating?" He asked.

"Put me down you twat," Halley slapped James' arms, which were still holding her above the ground. He quickly set her down, and he and Halley smiled at the other two.

But Alfie's question definitely struck a nerve with Halley, mainly because she wasn't exactly sure that what she and James had been doing could be strictly classed as dating.

James made Halley's heart flutter, the likes of which she had not felt with anyone else-even Adam. James kissed in such a way that Halley believed she could kiss him forever and not get bored. And his eyes, James had his mother's brown warm brown eyes, they reminded Halley of the beautiful brown-orange leaves that fell in the garden of her childhood home in the autumn, or of a warm mug of hot chocolate.

But they had never been on a proper date, merely spending their time together in the flat. And they had never even come close to discussing the nature of their relationship.

"Yes Alf, we are dating," said James, a large grin spreading across his face. Halley felt her mouth drop open to form an 'O' shape. She had not been expecting this open declaration from James.

"Oh, I knew this was going to happen!" Hope grinned, "I'm assuming this means that the trial went well then?"

"Cleared. I'm a healer again." Halley shook herself from her surprise at James' declaration.

"That's wonderful," Alfie patted her on the back. He and Hope walked into the flat, Alfie in search of food, and Hope in search of a comfy sofa to sit on.

********

"I thought that they'd never leave!" James sighed as he shut the door behind Alfie and Hope when the pair finally declared that they were going home.

"Did you mean what you said earlier?" Halley blurted out.

"What?"

"When you said that we're dating?"

"Why wouldn't I mean that?"

"I dunno, I've been a bit of a downer recently. I thought, maybe you might not have wanted to put up with that, or-" Halley was cut off when James put his hand over her mouth.

"Stop talking." He told her, "look, Hal, you've been my best friend for years, I couldn't ask for anyone better. If anyone can put up with you at your worst it's me, and I know full well that you'd do the same for me. So I am very happy to call you my girlfriend."

Before James could do anything, Halley pushed his hand away from her mouth, and lunged at him, pulling him into a passionate kiss.

"Down girl!" James said in between kisses.

"Shut up Potter."