40- Halley Mopes

"Thanks for putting up with this," Halley sniffed slightly as James poured her a mug of coffee in an attempt to cheer her up.

It had taken him hours to calm her down after they returned from the ministry, but he had been so unbelievably patient, and Halley had never been quite as thankful for James as she was then.

"It's what I'm here for Hal," James sat down beside her, "I totally understand why you got so upset, you're being punished for something that you didn't do."

"But I did do it though," sniffed Halley, "I did use the cream on patients, there's no denying that."

"But there's also no denying that you did it with the best of intentions," said James, "every single person who knows you will testify that you had the best of intentions."

"Thanks, Jamsie," Halley fell silent as she slipped her steaming coffee. She placed her head on James' shoulder and closed her eyes. Quickly, and quite without meaning to, Halley fell asleep.

For the next few days, Halley did not leave the flat. She gathered together as many magical law books as she could, and emerged herself in them, trying to find any way that she could argue her case. But all this really did, was make her more angry at herself. She had knowingly used the cream, excusing the fact that it could have really hurt somebody.

James did the best he could to cheer her up, but Halley had become completely absorbed in herself.

"Comet," Halley shook herself and looked up from a copy of 'British Magical Law and It's Practices', to see her father sat beside her.

"Hi Dad," she set the book aside, "what are you doing here?"

"We hadn't heard from you since... well, since everything. So I thought I would come and check on you," said Neville.

"Is Aunt Mali okay?"

"She's fine, much better. Thanks to you."

Halley smiled slightly.

"This isn't like you, Halley," Neville put his hand on Halley's shoulder, "you're a fighter and you always will be. So why don't you put these books down, and come outside."

"What's the point?"

"The point is that you're amazing Halley-"

"But you have to say that because you're my Dad."

"I don't have to say anything," Neville laughed, "I'm being honest when I say that you Halley Longbottom are a wonderful person, who does not deserve to be in this situation because she only ever does anything to try and help other people."

"You know it's usually Mum who gives me these talks, and she's normally a lot more violent in the way she goes about it," Halley sniffed slightly.

"Well, your mum is... otherwise engaged," Neville smiled sadly, "so I'm doing the best I can."

"You're doing wonderfully," she smiled.

"Now how about getting dressed and coming outside? I think James has ordered pizzas."

"Pizzas sound good."