13- 'I'll Write To Your Mother'

"Longbottom, Nova," Professor McGonagall called.

Halley peered over the heads of the students, trying to see her younger sister, who was making her way towards the stall on shaky legs.

It took the hat a short time to decide, before it shouted, "HUFFLEPUFF!" Nova jumped off the stall and hurried towards the Hufflepuff table.

Halley applauded, and made eye contact with Nova once she had sat down, shooting her a smile and a thumbs up, before turning her attention back to the front, where, "Longbottom, Nysa," had just been called.

The hat spent even longer on Nysa's head, before eventually yelling, "GRYFFINDOR!"

Nova grinned and hurried to the Gryffindor table.

Lily was also sorted into Gryffindor, and Selene was put into Hufflepuff, which meant that their group was evenly spaced.

"I reckon my dad just won a ton of money," Halley murmured to James, "otherwise he wouldn't be smiling like that."

"Yeah, because it couldn't be the fact that two of his kids just got sorted," James rolled his eyes.

"Get your head out of your ass James, of course, it's not that!"

********

Halley and James took it upon themselves to irritate the hell out of Hope and Alfie.

The couple were trying to avoid them as much as possible. Which meant that Halley and James always managed to pop up when they were alone.

This quickly dissolved into a war, Halley and James Vs, Hope and Alfie. Nysa was feeling left out, so He recruited Lily and they joined in on the prank war, which quickly descended into all-out chaos.

But Halley and James could not focus completely on the war for two main reasons. The first, and most important, the reason was that the Quidditch season was approaching, and as both of them were on the team, they had begun training.

Unfortunately, Adam was still Quidditch captain, but luckily for Halley and James, they were quite a lot better than anyone else who had tried out for the past two years (since Adam and Halley broke up), which hadn't given Adam the opportunity to kick them off the team.

The second, and far less important, reason was that they were in the fifth year, which meant OWL year. They were literally drowning in all of the homework that their teachers were giving them.

"I'm not doing any more work than I have to," James lounged back in his chair, spinning his quill in his hand.

"Me either, I reckon we can pass these exams without too much trouble," Halley put her quill down, "I don't like to work, and I don't need to work."

"We're insanely clever anyway!" James grinned.

"Of course we are."

********

"You two have got to put in the work," Sirius told James and Halley after they didn't hand in their fifth Charms essays.

"You're one to talk," James laughed, "we've heard all the stories about you and my Grandad in school. Remus-I means Professor Lupin said that you didn't do anything and you got all Os."

Sirius glanced around at the class of fifth years who were all staring at him. He looked back at Halley and James.

"You just earns yourself a detention Potter," Sirius said, trying to seem like he was in control of the two (which everyone knew full well that he wasn't because no teacher had managed to control James and Halley for five years).

"Since when did you call me Potter?" James asked, with a grin.

"C'mon Professor Snuffles, we've got Quidditch practice!" said Halley.

"And I'll have you in detention too Longbottom!" Sirius said, struggling to keep his face in an angry expression, "if you two miss another homework, I'll-"

"You'll what?" James asked.

"I'll write to your mother!" Sirius said triumphantly, watching the horrified expression spread across his face. Ginny had become more fierce with her children, it seemed that she was channelling Molly in her parenting style.

"You wouldn't," James glared at Sirius.

"Try me, Potter."