38- Too Weird

"You're not serious!" Halley demanded, "they're suspending me!"

"The cream hasn't been approved by the ministry," Ethan told her, "until they can prove that it's not dangerous, then you're on leave."

"It's not dangerous!" Halley scoffed, "you, mum and Remus have been using it for years!"

"But that was out of the context of the hospital, you were giving it to us as a family member or friend. With this- you were a healer using an uncertified potion on a patient. You must understand how that looks."

"It looks like I saved someone- my bloody Aunt- from bleeding out!"

"I know, but you've got to wait until they clear you and the potion. Go home. Focus on yourself for a while."

"This is ridiculous!" Halley exclaimed.

"I know it is Halley," said Ethan, seeming to become more and more impatient by the moment. "But it's serious, you're being investigated for misconduct!"

"By who?"

"The Department Of Magical Law Enforcement I think, but that doesn't matter. You have to go home!"

"Okay, fine. I'll bloody well go home then!"

********

"Uh oh," said James as Halley slammed the front door to the flat closed. All evidence of the happiness she had been feeling that morning after she and James admitted their feelings for one another was gone.

"I've been suspended," Halley growled, throwing her bag down on the sofa, and striding angrily into the kitchen.

"Suspended?" James jumped to his feet and followed her.

"Yes, suspended."

"What for?"

"Using methods that the ministry hasn't approved of."

"What?"

"Aunt Mali was bought in, she had been injured pretty badly by some creature, so I used my cream on her, and the ministry says that that is medical malpractice."

"Is Mali okay?" James asked quickly.

"Yes, she's fine. Because of the cream!"

"Well, that's all that matters then isn't it. As long as she's okay, the ministry can't stop you forever. Just you wait Hal, they'll come crawling back to you!"

"You're pretty wise Jamsie. You know that?"

"Of course I know that I'm amazing!"

"Ug!" Halley rested her head down on the worktop, "what am I going to do?"

"It will blow over," James pulled Halley into a hug and kisses her forehead.

"Ek."

"Too weird?" James asked.

"Definitely too weird," Halley agreed, with a slight laugh.

"I guess I'll just kiss you normally then," said James.

"I think that would be appropriate."

********

Halley found it very strange to be in a sort of relationship with James.

Their interactions remained mostly the same, however, they did attempt to act slightly more like a couple.

They greeted each other each morning with a peck on the cheek, or on the lips. They snuggled together on the sofa.

But not once did they discuss again the deep feelings that they had both confessed to each other, nor the exact nature of their relationship.

Halley was also going completely stir crazy. Her case had not yet been reviewed by the ministry, so she was unable to go back to work. And to make matters even worse, Ethan had taken all of her notes, saying that she should use this time to not do any work and relax. All of Halley's complaints fell on deaf ears.

She the few days after she was suspended with dreaming up all sorts of different methods that she could attempt if potion number 43 didn't work when Ethan trialled it the next week.