37- Emergency On The Ward

"So, here is the first big choice we have to make," James declared the next day, as he leafed through the daily prophet, "do we keep whatever this," he gestured between himself and Halley, "is to ourselves, or do we tell our family?"

Halley cast her mind to the different reactions that her family members would have. Venus would probably cry and hug her tightly, Mali would claim that she always predicted it, Neville would just be happy, Hope and Alfie would be all over the 'I told you so's, and she couldn't even begin to imagine the rest of her family's reactions.

She and James made eye contact, both seeming to be thinking the same thing, "Nah." They said together, which made them both laugh.

"What I mean to say," Halley continued, "is that we should see where this," she gestured from herself to James, "goes before we tell everyone. We might end up breaking up- not that I want that to happen of course," Halley clarified after James shot her a cocky grin.

"Because you're in loooooove with me."

"Shut up Potter."

********

"Stir once, back that way, stir again," Halley murmured as she worked.

"Try two stirs backwards," Ethan suggested.

"Stir and stir," Halley mumbled. A plume of green smoke emerged from the cauldron, which Halley wafted away from her face, "okay, I think that's ready for a test." She sniffed the bubbling liquid.

"Potion number 43 will be the lucky one. I can feel it," Ethan too peered into the cauldron, "I'll try it next week for my transformation."

"If it works like I hope it does, then you shouldn't have to transform at all." Halley crossed her fingers.

"Healer Longbottom!" There was a yell from down the corridor. Halley rushed out of the room, confused as to why the person was shouting so urgently.

"I'm here!" Halley replied.

"Ward 24, the trainees need your help!"

"I'm on it!" Halley immediately began to rush in the direction of the ward, she skidded to a stop outside, to see a frantic and white-faced George Weasley, who was trying to get a look into the ward. Halley's heart jolted, who would she find in the hospital bed, which of her family members was hurt.

"Halley!" He grabbed her arm, "what's happening? They won't let me in."

"I don't know Uncle George," Halley tried to get free of his grip, "but if you let me go, then I'll do everything that I can."

George loosened his grip, and reluctantly let Halley pass. She burst into the room, to see a horde of healers all gathered around a bed. Halley didn't have time to register who was in the bed. She took a quick assessment of the wounds, and quickly ordered the trainees healers out of the room, as it was clear this was a serious case, she told one of them to go and get Ethan to assist them. And then she set to work.

The wounds were deep, and none of the healers was sure what type of creature could have caused them. They had already applied murtlap essence to most of them, which had quenched most of the bleeding. But Halley had a better potion.

She had discovered that her cream for werewolf wounds was a sort of 'cure all' for all types of creature induced injuries (unless the wounds contained poison). Halley began applying this to the wounds, hoping beyond hope that they didn't have any poison in them.

"We cleaned them out, so any traces of anything harmful should be gone," said a young blonde healer.

"This cream will do the trick," Halley said through gritted teeth, "can someone hold her still so I can apply it! Stun her if you have to!"

Eventually, Halley was able to finish applying the cream. To stop the woman from moving, Ethan had stunned her, and her face (although covered in blood) was peaceful.

Halley hurried to grab a cloth and clean her face of blood, she didn't want her Uncle seeing her in this state. Mali's face was pale, although due to the blood replenishing charm, it had gained some of its unusual colour.

"The family are demanding that we let them in," a trainee healer poked her head around the door, into the private ward, which was now empty other than Halley and Mali.

"Let them in." Halley sighed, taking a seat in one of the chairs beside the bed. She then realised that her clothes were covered in Mali's blood, but before she could use her wand to clean them, George and Selene had burst into the room, with Nova hot on their heels.

"Is she okay?" George demanded, sitting on the other side of the bed to Halley and pulling Mali's limo hand into his own.

"She'll be just fine. Not even a scar to worry about," Halley assured him, trying to keep the exhaustion out of her voice.

Selene's eyes were fixed upon her mother, as Nova made her way around to Halley and squeezed her shoulder, "let's go get you cleaned up sis."

Halley obliged, getting to her feet and following Nova from the room.

"Are you okay?" Nova asked once the door to the ward closed behind them.

"I'm fine," Halley replied, trying to stop her hands from shaking, "I do this every day."

"But this is different," Nova prompted.

"You're right," said Halley, "it's one thing treating Mum and Remus, I expect them to get injured. But Aunt Mali always seemed so indestructible. It's just a reminder of how breakable humans are."

Nova smiled sadly and nodded, "yeah. I could never do what you do Hal, I look at plants, you save people's lives."

"Do you know what happened? No one ever told me," said Halley.

"I think it was a Chimera, but you can never be sure with Aunt Mali. She's always studying one thing or another."

"I'm just glad that I could help her."