34- Halley Can't Sit Still

"I can't believe that you'd say that James!" June yelled.

"I was joking June!"

James and June continued to argue as Halley turned her music up louder so that she could no longer hear them. It seemed that June didn't appreciate James's strange humour in quite the same way that Halley did.

Over the six months that June had been around, Halley had set herself firmly in the belief that she did not like her. June didn't fit well with James, she didn't find his jokes or pranks funny, and, worst of all, she didn't like Quidditch.

The argument continued for quite some time, Halley did her best to ignore it, but couldn't help hearing the loud slamming of the front door. Moments later James walked into her room, Halley hastily turned the music off as he sat down on her bed.

"Are you okay James?" Halley asked quietly.

"I think we just broke up," said James glumly.

"What?" Halley took a sharp breath.

"She said I'm too immature, and that unless I grow up she was leaving, so I told her that you didn't think I had to grow up, and then she left," James said.

Halley shook her head, "here's a tip for next time Jamsie, don't bring up another girl in your argument with your girlfriend."

"But it's you!"

"And I'm still a girl," Halley patted his back.

"See, this is why I need you. You can explain the innermost workings of the female brain to me."

"I dunno James, I think you've got it pretty sussed."

"Don't get sarcastic with me Longbottom, I just got dumped!"

"And I'm helping you recover by teasing you. It's my tactic."

"Well, it's not a very nice tactic."

********

"I want to call her!"

"No."

"Please."

"You told me not to let you call her Jamsie. I wouldn't be a good friend if I let you call her," Halley held the flat's phone tightly to her chest, away from James.

James sighed heavily and slumped back down on the sofa. Halley hated to see James as miserable as he was, but secretly she was over the moon that June was gone.

"Thanks, Halley," James grumbled.

"I'm just doing what any person would do," Halley set the telephone down on the counter, far away from James.

"Why can't I find myself a girl like you," James asked the air in front of him.

"Don't worry Jamsie, I'll always be here. I'm not going anywhere," Halley pointed out.

"Remind me of that in ten years when you're married with ten kids, and living in some massive mansion with all the money you earn from your amazing discoveries."

"No, in ten years time, I will be exactly where I am now. Standing right here by your side." Halley patted James's arm.

"That's a really lovely sentiment and all Hal, but are you saying that you're not going to move from that exact position for the next ten years, because I hate to be the one to remind you, but you can't sit still for ten minutes, let alone ten years!"

"You just had to ruin the moment, didn't you!"

James shot her a cheeky grin, "it's what I do best!"