42- It Worked

"You're yanking my wand," was Halley's immediate response.

"I'm not," Ethan grinned, "I swear, it worked."

"I'm going to have to go now," Halley looked at her grandparents, "enjoy the chocolate frogs."

And before anyone could say another word, she was on her feet, following Ethan out of the ward.

"So it worked? 100% worked?" Halley demanded.

"Yes, the Wolfsbane let me keep my mind, and number 43 let me keep my body."

"I don't believe it," said Halley.

"Well, believe it, because it happened."

"It's amazing... It's-it's-"

"Hard to put into words," Ethan agreed. The smile on his face dropped slightly, and he stopped in the middle of the hall.

"What is it?"

"I hate to bring you down, but we can't do anything else until you're cleared."

"I can't do anything else," Halley corrected, "however, at least three trials are allowed to take place before the potion or spell is presented to the ministry. You can carry out those trials, I don't have to be involved."

"But it's your potion, you made it-"

"But this is your life, my mum's life, Remus's that we're talking about. I'll do anything to help, even if that means standing back and letting someone else do it."

"Who are you and what have you done with Halley?" Ethan asked.

"I grew up."

"In a week?"

"Okay, maybe I just re-evaluated some stuff."

"That sounds more like it."

"So you'll do it?" She asked eagerly.

"Yes, I'll do it," Ethan gave in.

"Okay, I think you should ask Remus to try in next month, as he's been a werewolf forever, so it might have different effects," said Halley, "but can I ask you one thing?"

"Yes..."

"Don't tell my mum. Not yet, let's just wait until I can actually give it to her. I don't want to get her hopes up."

"But you're fine with getting mine and Remus's hopes up?" Ethan raised an eyebrow.

"You're different, and Remus has been through so much that I think he can handle anything, so yes, I am fine with getting your hopes up."

********

"Did Ethan find you?" James asked the moment that Halley entered the flat, "it seemed important."

"Yes, he found me," Halley grinned, "and yes it's important. It worked Jamsie, potion number 43 worked."

"You're kidding."

"No," said Halley. James' face broke into an equal grin to her own, and he rushed forwards, sweeping her into his arms and spinning her around.

"I'm so proud of you!"

"That's great and all," Halley said, "but could you please put me down? You know I hate it when you lift me up."

"Nope, you're never getting away." James continued to hold her up so that her feet were an inch above the floor.

"Put me down James."

"No."

"James "

"Halley."

"Put me down you prat."

"Very well then." James set her down.

"I don't appreciate it when you do that," Halley huffed and crossed her arms, "it makes me feel small."

"You are small," James prompted.

"Careful Potter, remember, I know where you sleep."

"Yeah, and sometimes you sleep there too."

"I'm going to hit you."

"And ruin this beautiful face? You wouldn't- ow Halley, that hurt!"