31- June

Hope and Alfie were frequent visitors of Halley and James's flat. Halley would often return from work to find her two friends sat on the sofa, with no implication that James was home.

"You know, I think you guys are abusing the Alohamora spell," Halley dumped her bag beside the door, and joined Alfie and Hope on the sofa.

"I don't understand why you even bother locking the door," Hope shrugged, "most wizards don't."

"Because we live in a muggle neighbourhood," Halley rolled her eyes, "anyway, can't you guys hang out at your place?"

"You keep your fridge much better stocked than we do," Alfie said, through a mouthful of breadsticks.

"That's where all our breadsticks keep going!" Halley glared at him, "I love breadsticks!"

"He'll buy you some more," Hope assured her, "won't you Alf."

"Sure," Alfie stuffed another one into his mouth.

"Can you guys clear off? I need to get some work done," said Halley.

"You mean get some James done?" Alfie said, which made both he and Hope snort with laughter.

"What?" Halley frowned.

"You're not exactly being discreet about it are you!" Hope laughed, "you're living together for Merlin's sake!"

"You think me and James are- ew, no way!" Halley shook her head vigorously

"James is just your friend right?" Alfie rolled his eyes.

"Yes! Exactly he is just my friend," said Halley.

"That's what I used to say about this idiot," Hope gestured at Alfie, "and look at us now."

"Please, you two were bound to end up together." Halley laughed.

"And so are you and James. Just you wait!" Hope assured her.

"You're starting to sound like Aunt Mali."

"What can I say, I'm channelling her spirit."

"Get out you weirdos!" Halley shoved them towards the door.

********

Halley was sat on the sofa, one Friday evening, once again pouring over her notes, making yet more amendments for her to try out in the potion.

The flat door clattered open, and laughter filled the room, Halley glanced up to see James with his arm around a giggling girl.

"Hello, Halley!" James smiled and waved.

"You're drunk," Halley commented, "I'm going to my room."

She picked up her papers and retreated, leaving the laughing couple alone.

She closed her door quickly and placed her back against it. A strange feeling was flooding her. She had never felt that pit in her stomach before, and she wasn't sure exactly what had triggered it.

Halley closed her eyes, and let out a long sigh. The sounds of laughter were still making their way into her room, so she hurried over to her radio and turned it on, The Weird Sisters began playing. She lay back on her bed, and let out another sigh.

"What is wrong with me?" She murmured to herself. She tried to focus back in on her work, but the page blurred into one, so she decided to call it a night.

********

"Sorry about last night Hal," James emerged into the living room mid-morning on Saturday, yawning widely.

"No worries," Halley tossed him some toast. "Is your friend still here?"

"Her name is June, and she's asleep," James sat down.

"Ah, June and James, how sweet," Halley laughed. "How long have you known this one!"

"A few weeks," James shrugged, "we've been out a few times. I really like her."

A knot formed in Halley's stomach, "good for you James." She smiled, but it was an empty one. She had no idea why she was feeling this way, she had never been the jealous type, and what was there to be jealous of? James was her best friend, nothing else.

"I have to get to work," Halley said, as she glanced at her watch, "I'll be back around three, then we can go to Grandma and Granddad's together."

"Sounds good!" James grinned, "I'll see you later."

"Yeah." Halley hurried from the flat, the knot in her stomach tightening, and the image of the laughing girl she had seen last night etched across her mind.