Act 1, Scene 10

3 Months Ago

It's a small question, one he'd usually ignore or answer and move on, but for some reason, he finds his mind repeating it over and over, even after the conversation is over.

He can't stop thinking about how the interviewer asked if he has a girlfriend, "or if you want one," she had added when his eyes widened. He answered no, that he didn't have one, and he's not really looking for one.

To the public eye, it probably seemed whatever, an answer to a question, but Singto isn't the public eye.

Krist shouldn't be afraid. Singto knows how it is; he probably knows it better than anyone.

So why does Krist feel this fear in his heart?

Will Singto be mad?

Will he be disappointed?

What will he say?

Later, when he calls the elder, he doesn't mention the interview. But Singto doesn't ask.

They talk about the food they ate, when they want to see each other again, what their plans for the next couple weeks are, lots of things.

But not the interview.

Krist feels so afraid.

When the day the interview airs arrives, he's practically buzzing with worry.

"Really, Krist," Yui says, brushing her fingers through his hair when he turns on the TV, "you're not acting like yourself. Are you okay?"

"Yes, P'," he answers mechanically. "I'm okay."

"Just that makes me nervous," Yui says, but she doesn't push the matter any further.

Singto calls him that night, and it's hard for Krist to pick up the phone, hard for him to press answer, hard for him to say hello.

They talk, and they talk, and they talk and talk, but Singto doesn't mention the question. He doesn't mention the interview.

"P'," he says before his senior can hang up.

"Yes?" Singto prompts.

"Did you watch the interview?" Krist questions. His fingers tighten their grip on his phone.

There's a pause before a laugh comes through the speakers.

"I did," Singto answers. "You were very cute."

"Oh," Krist says.

"Why?" Singto asks. "Is that not what you wanted to hear? You were handsome? Beautiful? Charming?"

Krist flushes red, grateful the other can't see him. "No," he responds eventually. "I was just.... Nevermind. Thank you, P'Sing."

"Are you sure?" Singto asks. "I can change my answer, you know."

"No," Krist replies. "It's okay. Really. Thank you."

Singto stays quiet for awhile before there's the sound of movement. "Okay, then." Krist licks his lips. "Goodnight, Krist," Singto says.

Krist repeats the words, and then there's a pause before a resounding beep rings through Krist's ears, indicating the call is over.

Krist lets out a breath before falling back on his bed. He's just being weird again.