Act 1, Scene 14

6 Days Ago

Yui comes in without warning. "You haven't done it yet, have you?"

Krist looks up from his phone, alarmed, before realizing what she's talking about. He coughs and stares determinedly back down. "I haven't," he affirms.

"I was expecting you to listen to me," Yui says.

"P'Yui, I—"

"What do I need to do to convince you?" his manager interrupts him. She goes over to the window. "Is he really that important to you? I love the kid, sure, but he's not your whole world."

"I know that, P', but I—"

"He's not sustainable," Yui continues. "Something like you and him just isn't meant to last right now. It's best you break it off." Her fingers curl around the curtain as she looks back over her shoulder at him. Her gaze is apologetic. "I'm not trying to be the bad guy here, Krist. I'm trying to be your manager."

Krist opens his mouth, ready to argue, ready to say anything, but all that comes out is an, "I know, P'."

Yui purses her lips before nodding and dropping the fabric. She pivots around to fully face him. When she walks by, she places a gentle hand on his shoulder. "I'm giving you one more week. Anything past that, and I'm afraid I'll have to take action." She gives his shoulder a consoling rub.

It only serves to make him hurt more.

"Thank you," he says anyway. "I'll make sure to end it by then."

Yui smiles at him, tells him she's just trying to do what's best for him again, then leaves, Krist falling into a solemn silence as soon as the door clicks shut.

Shouldn't it be easy? he can't help but ask himself. You don't know what you want anymore. You've never known. This is just P'Yui making the decision for you.

Krist closes his eyes, bringing his hands to rest underneath his chin.

But it's still a decision that should be made by me, isn't it?

He lets out a breath, opening his eyes once more and lowering his hands. He stares at the spot Yui once stood.

"I want this," Krist whispers to himself. "I want to be with him."

"It's him or your job, Krist," Yui had said to him. And he knows it is. He knows that he must choose his job. That is the only right answer, but... if it's the only right answer...

(Krist pulls his phone out of his pocket, pulls up his senior's number.)

... why does it feel so wrong?