Act 2, Scene 5

He wakes with a harsh kick to the side.

"Get up, you big baby," Hana's voice breaks through the fuzz in his head.

Krist groggily sits up. "Huh?" he asks intelligently.

"You fell asleep on the floor, dumbass," Hana answers, looking bored. "Yui had a key to your apartment, figured I'd be a better choice in waking you up. Was she right?"

Krist wipes at his eyes before glancing around. "No. I'd rather not wake up at all."

"Like a coma?" Hana asks, lowering herself carefully to sit next to him. She bumps their shoulders together. "Or death? 'Cause dying over a guy is dumb, gay or straight."

Krist sighs and tilts his head back. "I know. I just... I thought everything was going fine. Why am I suddenly like this?"

Hana purses her lips, and Krist wants to laugh at the way her peony pink lipstick smears on the sides of her mouth. It's a nice distraction. Oh. "I see," he says. Hana tilts her head.

"I didn't say anything," she states.

"I was distracted," Krist responds. "Wasn't I?"

"You were quite good at remaining preoccupied," Hana notes. Her eyes slide over to him, and she nudges their shoulders together again. "Maybe you shouldn't do that anymore. Running clearly gets you, well, here."

Krist gives a half-hearted chuckle at that, and Hana gives a soft smile.

"Really," she says, "you don't have to be okay, Krist. Not when you're by yourself, and not when you're with me, either. I care about you, okay?"

Krist licks his lips, lowering his chin, before nodding. "Okay."

Hana smiles, tight-lipped and tired. "It's late. You should go to bed."

"What time is it?" Krist asks.

"Around three," Hana replies. At Krist's look, her expression flattens. "In the morning."

"Why are you here so late?" Krist questions.

"Was having a girls' night with a friend when I realized I didn't get one of your usual shit texts," Hana responds easily. "And then Yui texted me around midnight asking if you had texted me. It was easy to realize something was wrong."

"It's three, though," Krist says.

Hana shrugs nonchalantly. "Figured I'd let you sleep."

"You could've woken me up to have me sleep somewhere more comfortable," Krist grumbles.

Hana glances at him before standing. "You looked fine to me. Only when you started making weird noises did I wake you up. I wasn't sure if what I was about to hear would be rated eighteen or not. I decided I didn't want to find out."

"Oh," Krist says.

"So you're awake now," Hana says.

"Thanks," Krist tells her. "I guess you can go, then. What about your friend; is she all right?"

"Violet?" Hana asks. "She's fine."

"You should reschedule," Krist says. "I'm sorry for ruining your night. Me and my dumb relationship troubles, wow. I never would've thought."

"Don't be ridiculous," Hana laughs. "It's not a big deal. We all go through it, you know."

Krist sighs. "Yeah."

He can feel Hana's eyes on him for awhile. Eventually, he gets uncomfortable with her stare and stands, becoming taller than her once more. "You can go. Sorry again."

Hana gives him an unamused look before nodding. "Okay. Just, you can cry more, fine, but maybe try to sleep in a bed? Not on the floor. You'll regret it later."

Krist laughs, but it's weak. "I know. Thanks."

Hana studies him with dark eyes for a second before nodding and rubbing her hand down his arm warmly. "Friends."

"Yeah," Krist says, leading her to the door. He presses his nose to her hair, appreciating the warmth of her kindness. "Friends."

When Hana leaves, Krist gets properly ready for bed, and once he's under the covers, he doesn't even get misty-eyed. He falls asleep quick and sleeps dreamlessly but deeply for the rest of the night.