Act 2, Scene 6

Krist nearly laughs out loud (out of shock or concern, he doesn't know) when Yui pulls him aside in the hall of the studio they're at one day and asks, "Are you and Hana dating? For real?"

The man blinks at her, eyes wide, a dumbfounded expression probably clear on his face. "Uh," he says intelligently, and then he licks his lips and answers, "no." He takes a step away. "Why would you even think that?"

Yui glances around before speaking: "You two have been spending a lot of time together, that's all."

"You make us," Krist replies bluntly.

"Yes, but now it seems even more so," Yui states.

"Well," Krist says, "we're not. I don't think we ever will either. We can only put on this show for the fans."

Yui stares at him, and unspoken words dance on the tip of Krist's tongues, not just unspoken in the moment, but unspoken at all. He opens his mouth, and the words are right there, ready to spill out and be heard for the first time ever, but then someone from the studio's crew is knocking on the wall, capturing their attention, and telling them it's Krist's time to go on air.

Something that feels a lot like disappointment settles in Krist's chest.

He thinks about the words he had wanted to say, then he thinks about the possible reaction of his manager.

The interview begins, and when Krist's eyes flit over to the woman, sees her proud look at him as he talks, he decides it might have been for the best that he wasn't able to speak.

When he tells Hana of what he'd planned to say, she seems to agree.

"If you aren't even sure, and you say something so... so...," her expression is strained as she searches for words, "so definitive and decisive, then you could really ruin things for yourself." She gives him a sympathetic look, along with a hand to his shoulder. "Do you really think you could say it confidently?"

Krist stares at her with wide eyes. Eventually, he shakes his head. "I don't know, but I wanted to say it." He looks back at her, determination clear on his face. "That has to mean something, doesn't it?"

Hana gives him a sad smile and drops her hand. "I just don't want to see anything bad happen to you, okay?" She pauses and sends him a more joking smile. "Or, I guess, I don't want to see more bad things happen to you."

Krist lets out a weak laugh.

"I know," Hana continues, "that originally I technically only spent time with you for the money, but, Krist," her eyes meet his as she speaks, "you are a really good guy. And I'm so sorry that this has happened to you."

Their gazes stay locked as Krist tries to come up with something to say, and he feels his cheeks flush at the subject matter of their conversation. Right when he feels like he can say something without stuttering, Hana's phone begins to ring.

When she pulls it out, she stares down at the screen before looking up at Krist. "Actually," she says, "there's someone I want you to meet."