44. Above All Else

Alaska still has not become pregnant, nearly an entire year after the first time we had ever been intimate and no pregnancy

Alaska still has not become pregnant, nearly an entire year after the first time we had ever been intimate and no pregnancy. My child does not fill her womb and although my father would say it is my failure to this realm, my doing, I know that I can provide heirs. They are just in the Sky Realm.

We have made our relationship work the best we can, Alaska and I. She was resentful of me after I had been gone for a full month after our wedding. My father was furious and detested me for leaving my realm after becoming king. He had crowned me and I had gone directly to the realm I had once been forbade in without a second thought.

I could not explain it to anyone, not a single person. I could not share my joy and happiness, the utter jubilance I felt inside of me. No, the moment I returned I was looked down upon by my best friend, father, and wife.

My father had once told me Sir Gregory should have been made king of this realm and a large part of me agreed with him. Gregory would serve the realm the best as he only had its interest in mind. My interests lie somewhere else but I have tried my best over the last few months to hide that fact.

I have thrown myself into everything for the Land Realm. I had made appearances with the queen to see our people. I had tried my very best to be what everyone expected. Not because I wanted to be what they expected but because I was trying to protect my children.

If anyone thought that those children were at all part of me who knows what they would do. Leaving them was one of the hardest things I had ever had to do but knowing they were with Pere and Raven made me feel somewhat comforted. I watched the way Raven was with the boys and knew they would be well taken care of.

He was a good mate to Pere from what I had seen. Putting up with me for an entire month just to appease her and I was proof of that. He wanted her to be happy. He wanted his children to be happy and if that meant having me around then he was willing to bear that burden.

"Good afternoon, my king." Alaska walks into my study with a smile on her face. "What are you up to right now?"

I give her my sincerest smile back. "Going over the treaties and some of the arrangements my father has made with the realms over the last few years. I need to be as up to date as possible with the terms." I do not tell her I am going over them for the sake of my two hybrid children in another realm.

"Well, I have a good feeling about this month." She rubs her stomach tenderly with a hopeful look on her face. "I think I have managed to give you an heir, Timber." I reach out to her and squeeze her hand affectionately, trying to show her some support. Because if she is not I know the sadness and disappointment that will take place afterward.

"I have faith in us, Alaska. We will make our realm proud I know we will. If anything I am sure that when you do become with child you will have a whole litter of them." She lets out a small laugh as I pull her down to me and place a kiss on her lips.